• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessie_bee2005

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am 16 years old. My mother has custody of my brother and I and my dad gets visitation. We are living with my grandma in her home-4 people in a 2 bedroom house. I have had the same job for 8 months, and I make plenty of money to support myself. My mom constantly borrows money from me. I want to live on my own because I am so cramped, and I fell obligated to give my mom money all the time. She won't give her permission because she is getting child support for me, and she doesn't have a licence, so I have to drive her around, and she wants me under her thumb. I also do not want to live with my dad because his fiance's son tried to rape me a few years back, and has been in a lot of trouble since, And my dad treats me like dirt. Under these circumstances, and the fact that I have the money to live on my own, do I have a good chance at getting emancipated? If so, what is the procedure I have to take?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jessie_bee2005 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am 16 years old. My mother has custody of my brother and I and my dad gets visitation. We are living with my grandma in her home-4 people in a 2 bedroom house. I have had the same job for 8 months, and I make plenty of money to support myself. My mom constantly borrows money from me. I want to live on my own because I am so cramped, and I fell obligated to give my mom money all the time. She won't give her permission because she is getting child support for me, and she doesn't have a licence, so I have to drive her around, and she wants me under her thumb. I also do not want to live with my dad because his fiance's son tried to rape me a few years back, and has been in a lot of trouble since, And my dad treats me like dirt. Under these circumstances, and the fact that I have the money to live on my own, do I have a good chance at getting emancipated? If so, what is the procedure I have to take?

My response:

For an emancipation to be successful, you need to be completely independent from your Mom. You're still attached by the umbilical cord.

How would your emancipation "set you free" when you're still giving her money, and driving her around town?

Obviously, you're not emotionally ready.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">