• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Distress at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nasri08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hey guys I need some help.
I received very harmful emotional distress couple days ago, and I really want to do something about it because it bothers me so much I can't get it out of my head.

so heres the story..
so I was hired at resturant A, and at my first day of work, I did the usual steps like saying hello to other employees and the manager. I tried to be positive and smiled the whole time, and listened very well with absolutely no sign of complaints or laziness.

so after about 20-30 minutes of work we had lunch break, and what I saw at the lunch break was segregation between chefs and waiters. (all the chefs and the manager were sitting together side by side having usual conversation). Then I noticed the manager making rude remarks to one of the waiter ( manager said it in Korean and the waiter was from Taiwan) front of all the Korean chefs and waiters.

After the lunch break the waiters and the manager had a brief meeting.
so this is my first day at work and at my first meeting..
all of the sudden the managers points the finger at me and says "I'm speaking directly to you, you think you are better than everybody but here you are a nobody, it doesn't matter you study at college or not, people here knows much better than you..etc, etc, etc," I won't go so much into details but you get the idea where this was going.

First, I was shocked by what he was saying, because I've been here no longer than 30mins and I was extremely embrassed and nervous because he called me out front of all the other employees in the meeting.
Second, he did not give any reasoning behind his statements, nor did any other employees. I asked one of the head waiters and he asked me if I was all right, and he told me he does this everyday to other employees.

So through out the rest of the work, I watched the manager because I was so anxious and fabregasted by what he said, it was really unbelieveval to treat an employee like that at his first day of work when he didnt even start working yet.

I noticed couple other things the way he makes fun of customers because their weight (in korean, the customer was white) and he did not even acknowledge me at all through out the work, and told me to stay in the kitchen.

I know there is a violation of emotional distress law under working environment, but I was not sure the exact name of it.

can you guys please help me out?

thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't matter what the name of it is. Upsetting as this is, and I'm not saying you are wrong to be upset, this is not even close to something that would give you a legal cause of action.

justalayman

do you speak Korean?

Not sure what the mention of the waiter being Taiwanese meant. They speak Taiwanese Hokkien and Mandarin primarily in Taiwan. They are both of Chinese derivative. Koreans typically speak Korean. Did the waiter understand what the manager said to him?

so after about 20-30 minutes of work we had lunch break, and what I saw at the lunch break was segregation between chefs and waiters.
did you consider this might have been by choice? I generally do not sit with my bosses when I eat lunch and it is my choice to do so.

Then I noticed the manager making rude remarks to one of the waiter
depending on what you consider to be rude, this may or may not be a problem. Rude, in general, is allowed.

all of the sudden the managers points the finger at me and says "I'm speaking directly to you, you think you are better than everybody but here you are a nobody, it doesn't matter you study at college or not, people here knows much better than you..etc, etc, etc,"
in itself, there is nothing illegal here. Maybe he heard you comment about being in college and didn't like your tone of voice. Maybe he was intentionally dressing you down so you wouldn't get the idea you were better than anybody else. It doesn't really matter though. Nothing he said was illegal.

a boss has a legal right to be a jerk.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hey guys I need some help.
I received very harmful emotional distress couple days ago, and I really want to do something about it because it bothers me so much I can't get it out of my head.

so heres the story..
so I was hired at resturant A, and at my first day of work, I did the usual steps like saying hello to other employees and the manager. I tried to be positive and smiled the whole time, and listened very well with absolutely no sign of complaints or laziness.

so after about 20-30 minutes of work we had lunch break, and what I saw at the lunch break was segregation between chefs and waiters. (all the chefs and the manager were sitting together side by side having usual conversation). Then I noticed the manager making rude remarks to one of the waiter ( manager said it in Korean and the waiter was from Taiwan) front of all the Korean chefs and waiters.

After the lunch break the waiters and the manager had a brief meeting.
so this is my first day at work and at my first meeting..
all of the sudden the managers points the finger at me and says "I'm speaking directly to you, you think you are better than everybody but here you are a nobody, it doesn't matter you study at college or not, people here knows much better than you..etc, etc, etc," I won't go so much into details but you get the idea where this was going.

First, I was shocked by what he was saying, because I've been here no longer than 30mins and I was extremely embrassed and nervous because he called me out front of all the other employees in the meeting.
Second, he did not give any reasoning behind his statements, nor did any other employees. I asked one of the head waiters and he asked me if I was all right, and he told me he does this everyday to other employees.

So through out the rest of the work, I watched the manager because I was so anxious and fabregasted by what he said, it was really unbelieveval to treat an employee like that at his first day of work when he didnt even start working yet.

I noticed couple other things the way he makes fun of customers because their weight (in korean, the customer was white) and he did not even acknowledge me at all through out the work, and told me to stay in the kitchen.

I know there is a violation of emotional distress law under working environment, but I was not sure the exact name of it.

can you guys please help me out?

thanks
The art of getting a thick skin is in order here. There is no legal issue that I can see.

commentator

I have often said, people always labor under the delusion that they have more rights in the workplace than they do. Until something like this happens to them, and they find that they have two choices. Tolerate it and do your work, or quit and find another job. There is no place you can complain about rude treatment from your employer unless it is directly related to an EEOC issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">