• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employed or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Donovan_Galway

What is the name of your state? Missouri

After 27 years with Farmers insurance and no claims, tickets or payouts, they doubled my rates. I was told by a contact at my agent's office that it was due to inflation and would affect everyone. After talking with other companies, I challenged the integrity of Farmers and changed to a better company. I later found that the person quoting my rates at Farmers was not employed their and maintained that she "Could prove by tax records that she had been unemployed since 1996" (her words) Apparently, her husband was the agent and I never saw him. She always answered the phone and had current access to my files. My question is this: If she was signing my quotes and policy changes and making adjustments to my policy, was Farmers liable for her actions? Does anyone who happens to be related to an agent have the right to access my files? If I had a major claim, could they claim she was not acting on their behalf and they were not bound to her agreements? Is this person not guilty of either tax evasion or insurance fraud? Farmers has refused to comment. Though out of it now, I remain gravely curious as others are still with her.

HomeGuru

Donovan_Galway said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

After 27 years with Farmers insurance and no claims, tickets or payouts, they doubled my rates. I was told by a contact at my agent's office that it was due to inflation and would affect everyone. After talking with other companies, I challenged the integrity of Farmers and changed to a better company. I later found that the person quoting my rates at Farmers was not employed their and maintained that she "Could prove by tax records that she had been unemployed since 1996" (her words) Apparently, her husband was the agent and I never saw him. She always answered the phone and had current access to my files. My question is this: If she was signing my quotes and policy changes and making adjustments to my policy, was Farmers liable for her actions? Does anyone who happens to be related to an agent have the right to access my files? If I had a major claim, could they claim she was not acting on their behalf and they were not bound to her agreements? Is this person not guilty of either tax evasion or insurance fraud? Farmers has refused to comment. Though out of it now, I remain gravely curious as others are still with her.
**A: Please file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner. The actions of both the wife of the insurance agent and the insurance company were wrong.

JETX

"If she was signing my quotes and policy changes and making adjustments to my policy, was Farmers liable for her actions?"
*** Probably not. A factual answer would depend on a review of her capacity in perfoming the work. For example, if she was signing as an employee of the designated agent, then there would likely have not been a problem. However, if she was signing AS the agent, then that would likely be a violation of their policy and more likely a violation of state insurance licensing laws. You are apparently overlooking the likelihood that she may have been an 'employee' of the agency in addition to being the spouse.

"Does anyone who happens to be related to an agent have the right to access my files?"
*** Again, depends on the capacity. If she is an employee of the agent, yes.

"If I had a major claim, could they claim she was not acting on their behalf and they were not bound to her agreements?"
*** Could they claim that? Of course they could. Would it stand as a valid position?? The answer there would require again, a review of her actions and capacity.

"Is this person not guilty of either tax evasion or insurance fraud?"
*** No one can answer the issue of tax evasion since we have no idea what capacity or authority, if any, she had and what compensation she may have, or not, received. As for insurance fraud, no.

"Though out of it now, I remain gravely curious as others are still with her."
*** Then do as HG suggested and take your concerns to the state insurance commisssion. Then, move on and let them handle any issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">