• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Direct Deposited to Wrong Closed bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The old closed account was Chase Bank. Chase told me the account was closed in 2011 and charged off. Then it was sold to a collection agency. The amount deposited by the employer was not enough to pay the balance. The bank account that the employer was instructed to direct deposit my pay after I was hired back last year is US BANK. This routing number and account number was emailed to them with an attached blank check to assure accuracy. A return email from the payroll manager confirmed acceptance of the new bank info. I closed the Chase account because I moved to a city that had no Chase bank location. Chase has yet to tell me what the balance was for. Still waiting for a list of those charges. I only used a debit card on that account. So it wasn't for returned checks.
Make them show what these charges were for.

If they are charging you a monthly fee for failing to maintain a minimum balance on an account that you closed, then contest it.

PayrollHRGuy

It was not an incorrect account number with an incorrect recipient. The account number belonged to the recipient.
I understand that but have had DD recipients in the same situation and in all cases have had the reversal accepted by the bank but also in all cases the request for reversal was initiated within the 5 day period.

Chyvan

The OP BENEFITED from the money and now owes the excess money back to the employer.
That may very well be true. However, think in terms of the employer. If the employer wants the money, should they waste time pursing the OP with limited or no capability to repay, or get their money back from the BANK?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That may very well be true. However, think in terms of the employer. If the employer wants the money, should they waste time pursing the OP with limited or no capability to repay, or get their money back from the BANK?
The bank has no obligation to return the money. That makes the choice easy.

HRZ

IM still back at the facts and the starting point...if the employer failed to comply with the mandatory requirements of direct deposit law then why is not 100% of that problem on employers shoulders ,,,and employee played no role in thier failure to do it right ..so whY lean on him to cure that part of problem. .

AS to second part of problem .the TX payday law focuses on delivery of pay to employees...and the law is rather specific about to the account the employee designated ...and the employer failed to do as required ...they did not deliver pay as required. Now if they had delivered it to the proper account ..and for some reason the bank had a valid offset ..that's different but not what the OP described. Employer failed to pay as required. a matter they apparently cured with a new paper check...he is entitled to the new proper check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">