• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer not paying, please help. Urgent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jporven

I am the web development director for a small internet company. My employer is avoiding paying me several thousand dollars for work completed. I am getting worried, because I have noticed collection calls and verified that he is lying about the circumstances he has given for not paying me on time. I have a contract and very broad non-compete agreement with the company (no geographic or time limit.); entered into roughly 1 week after I finished the first verion of the project. I would like to know my recoursese for collection, and whether I can legally present the product to the customer to sell it myself, or approach the customer for other business opportunities related to the website project, but not of a design nature. Please reply as soon as possible, as I must make a decision on what to do by Wednesday. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

ALawyer

Yes, it sounds as if the company is in financial trouble.

You could go to the State Department of Labor for the salary /compensation he owes (if you are an employee). Or work out a deal with the boss so that you own it in exchange for letting him off the hook. But if you are an employee you can't appropriate to yourself company assets because he is late on payment.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">