• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Terminated Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlopez60120

I live in Florida. I work for a company for 15 months. A head hunter reached out to me and presented an interesting opportunity. I interviewed and I was offered the job. It paid well and I was moving to a senior position. When I turned in my resignation with two weeks' notice. In a few days, my employer came back to me and asked me to stay and that they would match the offer/position. After some thought, I agreed to stay. It's been 3 months since this happened. I knew I was being let go. They indicate that they are trimming down. The funny part is the company is doing well it's growing, costs are down, sales are up. Not sure if I have any legal recourse. I don't want to sound paranoid but I feel it is some form of retaliation. I understand Florida is an at-will employer but business doing great my division is knocking out of the park not sure there is a real reason to terminate me. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Under the circumstances described, and with no additional information, your employer would not break any law by terminating your employment.

commentator

Oh I have seen this done to so many people in so many cases.! I had been talking to you when all this happened, I would have made you a big old bet that what they'd do is hold you at the new salary until all hope of the new job was gone and then dump you for exhibiting your perceived "disloyalty" to the old company. Why? Because they can. At will. At whim, for just a any reason. You;ll probably qualify for the miserable amount of Florida U.I. but that's about it. And I wouldn't trust the kind of references they are liable to give you either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">