• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Threw Out Personal Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mul211

I was working at a contract engineering position in OH when I had to return to NY because my mother had cancer. The company I worked for kept me on the payroll part time as they needed me and send me work in NY. When I returned to the office I found that the project I had been assigned to had ended and all the office furniture had been torn down and a new project was in that area. All of the contents of my desk had been accidentally thrown out along with all my engineering books, calculator and necessary engineering reference items I had collected over 20 yrs. Can I sue this company for my property? I will have great difficulty working at my next job w/o my engineering references.

G

George G

While you may have a claim of some kind (and you should ask nicely -- maybe their or your insurance would cover it) a law suit will take more time and cost and energy and effort than buying new references. And it would get you a poor set of references from the employer.

M

mul211

I have no need for references from this employer. They documents that they threw out are not replaceable. They were engineering procedures that I collected over 20 years that I used for doing my work. What recourse do I have? I would like to sue this employer regardless.

A

Attorney_Replogle

First, find a labor lawyer in your area at this web site's attorney listing. Then contact him about this matter. It is really a state specific issue, not per se a federal, generally applicable matter.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">