• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Agreement - Term Clause - State of Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Oh I'm 100% looking into that now. Just looking for any advice possible. Any recommendations? I'm very limited on a budget
My recommendation is to not sign anything before fully understanding all of what you are signing. The best way to get this understanding is through an attorney's personal review.

I think it is better to spend dollars now with the review than risk having to spend dollars later in a breach of contract suit filed against you, should you find your work duties or work environment intolerable or should you find another employment opportunity that you want to take advantage of.

cas21212

Thanks Everyone,

As I wait for legal advice. Here is one more part of the Agreement that may (or may not) help. I forgot to add from before:

Employee is an at-will employee and, therefore, Employer may terminate this Agreement at any time, without notice or payment in lieu of notice, and with or without cause.

Doesn't say anything about the employee being able to terminate "at will" but from my understanding an employer can't have it both ways?

Opinions if possible.

Thanks for everyone here for helping!

quincy

Thanks Everyone,

As I wait for legal advice. Here is one more part of the Agreement that may (or may not) help. I forgot to add from before:

Employee is an at-will employee and, therefore, Employer may terminate this Agreement at any time, without notice or payment in lieu of notice, and with or without cause.

Doesn't say anything about the employee being able to terminate "at will" but from my understanding an employer can't have it both ways?

Opinions if possible.

We cannot analyze contracts - in part or in whole - on this forum. That gets into the practice of law for which you will need an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction.

Sorry.

eerelations

Thanks again!

Not sure if this will help what so ever with what I'm saying but the company HR just responded back to my request for more information on the clause with the response: Is just for retention purposes.

Does this change anything at all?

Thanks as always :)
Of course it's for retention purposes! They want to make sure they keep you for three years (even if you become totally demoralized and desperate to leave) by scaring you with a clause that may or may not be enforceable. If it was me, I'd be extremely leery of signing a contract with a clause like this, combined with such a vague response from HR.

PayrollHRGuy

Thanks Everyone,

Opinions if possible.

That's yet another thing that makes the agreement so wonky. The Employment-At-Will doctrine is not one way.

quincy

It is always best to not be placed in a position where you are forced to test the enforceability of a contract in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">