• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment waiver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California
Question. Someone works for a small company that has 4 or 5 locations. Non union company. He's hired part time. His hours get bumped to 40. The manager tells him he has to sign a form turning down benefits or his hours will be drastically reduced. Is this legal?

This isn’t a termination issue. Please read the following...

Question. Someone works for a small company that has 4 or 5 locations. Non union company. He's hired part time. His hours get bumped to 40. The manager tells him he has to sign a form turning down benefits or his hours will be drastically reduced. Is this legal?
The employee is being asked to waive his rights to medical and retirement benefits that come with being a full time employee.

quincy

This isn’t a termination issue. Please read the following...

The employee is being asked to waive his rights to medical and retirement benefits that come with being a full time employee.
Is the increase in hours a temporary increase?

It depends. If he signs the waiver they will stay 40, but if he doesn’t sign then they will cut his hours back drastically (is what he was told).

quincy

It depends. If he signs the waiver they will stay 40, but if he doesn’t sign then they will cut his hours back drastically (is what he was told).
I meant, is the increase in hours due to a temporary business need, such as an increase in hours over a holiday season, with a cutback in hours after the need passes?

Oh. Sorry. Many of the employees have left to return to university. It has been a month and the store has no hired on anymore staff.

quincy

Will these same employees be returning to work at the business after their school term ends or were they only temporary, summer employees?

What sort of business is this (e.g., fast food)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm tired of pulling teeth.

Was the increase in hours for the person in question ever intended to be permanent, or was it intended to be temporary, at the time it was initiated? Please answer yes or no.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's why the employer doesn't matter. We're talking about protected benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are four or five locations, he said. That's going to put him over the floor for employees, almost certainly. And with retirement plans, the number of employees is irrelevant; it's the number of hours the employee works.

quincy

There are four or five locations, he said. That's going to put him over the floor for employees, almost certainly. And with retirement plans, the number of employees is irrelevant; it's the number of hours the employee works.
Probably. Especially since the manager is asking that the form be signed. :)

But you know that the type of business - as well as the size - can matter. Not every employee of every business is entitled to benefits, even if the employee works 40 hours a week. And, with employees said to have left for college, this sounds to me like a restaurant industry business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, I'm well aware that not every employee of every business is entitled to benefits. I work in employee benefits, as you should remember. But Q, there is no restaurant exemption from the ACA. It is true that many restaurants are exempt because they do not meet the number of employees to be subject to it. However, the OP has said this employer has 4 to 5 locations. Even if it's four, and even if each restaurant has only thirteen employees total, that's going to be enough in total to make them subject to the ACA. And even if they don't meet the ACA requirement, as I indicated that's irrelevant for retirement benefits, as is the industry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">