• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

end of LEASE: no deposit return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

windsurf40

My One year lease in state of Florida ended on Jan 15th.
Condo Assoc sent letter to owner in Dec stating that
they would not allow renewal of lease unless "problem of my cat getting out is resolved". I paid thru Jan 30, and nothing was resolved with cat by Jan 15th. On Jan 15th I told owner, I would move out Jan 30. She had new tenant move in Jan 29th ( I moved weekend before). Place was inspected and was declared fine. On Feb 23, I received certified letter from owner stating I only gave 15 days notice not 30 and she was kepting my deposit. No damages, no loss of rental income. Condo assoc put in doubt my chance of getting lease renewal. Can I sue for return of deposit.

D

dj1

YES you can...It is Illegal for her to keep a deposit when there is no damage, and it is also ILLEGAL for her to collect FULL rent from 2 different people for the same apartment....can you say FRAUD!

Write her a letter send it certified mail return reciept that if she does not give you back your full deposit in 7 days you will sue her in small claims court for the full amount.

You have a clean move out report and you have a new tenant move in on the 29 and your rent was paid untill the 30th...case closed!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">