• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enough for Supervised?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Unless we know what state Mom and her Wife live in, we can't possibly know for sure whether or not they're legally married.
Ohio doesn't recognize them as married and therefore in Ohio courts -- where OP is -- this woman is NOT stepmom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They're legally married in their state of residence, then. I'd have a hard time saying Mom's legal spouse isn't Step-Mom. *I have a hard time when people say my step-kids don't have another step-mom because they don't live in a state where their marriage is recognized. They're married. Period.
Not according to Ohio courts. Not legally when it comes to Ohio courts.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Does it really matter though? She doesn't have any legal standing whether she is or isn't a stepparent.
I was responding to Cjane ... and the reason I brought it up was so that OP would know to watch the legal terms and verbiage. Mom does not have a legally recognizable relationship with her wife in the state of Ohio. There are protections for spouses in some ways in Ohio courts (first thing that comes to mind is for criminal probation/parole).

User:Name

So, mom and I have come to an agreement. Now I'm wondering if we go ahead and wait for the hearing or if I can dismiss that and we can file an agreed upon entry. Can someone please tell me how this works?

LdiJ

So, mom and I have come to an agreement. Now I'm wondering if we go ahead and wait for the hearing or if I can dismiss that and we can file an agreed upon entry. Can someone please tell me how this works?
Go ahead and file a stipulated agreement, but be prepared to follow through on the hearing as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Don't dismiss. Take the entry with you to the hearing and present it to the court.

So, a lot has happened since I posted this last year. It's such a long story. I'll try to make it short. Mom and her wife convinced the little guy that I had kidnapped him and that's why he lived with me. He reported abuse to several doctors, and teachers. He came back from visits violent and an emotional wreck. He ended up having to spend a week in a psychiatric hospital. He was diagnosed with PTSD, Attachment Disorder, Mood Disregulation Disorder, and again with FASD. His doctor recommended supervised visits for mom and no contact with mom's wife. That is what the magistrate ordered. That was in July. Mom showed up for 2 visits. She hasn't shown up since October. She doesn't call. I don't have a current address or phone number for her either. She quit paying the $10 a month that I had been receiving a couple months ago. Dad has been released from prison, (for selling crack to informants over and over with kids present), and calls once a week but has still never met the little guy. I would Love to be able to adopt him but I'm wondering if that is even worth daydreaming about. I know I would need an attorney but what would have to happen for me to be able to consider adopting him. Would it help if I closed the child support case?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for the update.

I wouldn't bother closing the cs case just yet. You don't even know if the parents would agree to an adoption. Just because they act like they don't care doesn't mean that they're willing to give up parental rights.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, a lot has happened since I posted this last year. It's such a long story. I'll try to make it short. Mom and her wife convinced the little guy that I had kidnapped him and that's why he lived with me. He reported abuse to several doctors, and teachers. He came back from visits violent and an emotional wreck. He ended up having to spend a week in a psychiatric hospital. He was diagnosed with PTSD, Attachment Disorder, Mood Disregulation Disorder, and again with FASD. His doctor recommended supervised visits for mom and no contact with mom's wife. That is what the magistrate ordered. That was in July. Mom showed up for 2 visits. She hasn't shown up since October. She doesn't call. I don't have a current address or phone number for her either. She quit paying the $10 a month that I had been receiving a couple months ago. Dad has been released from prison, (for selling crack to informants over and over with kids present), and calls once a week but has still never met the little guy. I would Love to be able to adopt him but I'm wondering if that is even worth daydreaming about. I know I would need an attorney but what would have to happen for me to be able to consider adopting him. Would it help if I closed the child support case?
You could attempt it but quite frankly at this point they have a strong case to fight. If they don't contact the child for a year (or pay child support -- keep open the child support case) -- then you can file for adoption and their permission would not be necessary. And why was mom only paying $10 a month? That is not the minimum amount per statute.

You could attempt it but quite frankly at this point they have a strong case to fight. If they don't contact the child for a year (or pay child support -- keep open the child support case) -- then you can file for adoption and their permission would not be necessary. And why was mom only paying $10 a month? That is not the minimum amount per statute.
Mom usually contacts me a few times a year. Dad has been calling once a week since he got out of prison. He is in a halfway house now, but he is definitely interested in having a relationship with his son. He has been Very respectful to me and seems sincere about getting his life together and living right. I'm praying it works out but I do feel like I want to be careful about how their relationship is handled. I worry about the little guy getting attached to dad and dad going back to prison or back to his old ways. Could I send you a private message with a link to a news story about him? I need some advice about what I should agree to as far as visitation and contact and what I should expect if this ends up in court.

ETA: Mom is ordered to pay more but was a server so the small paycheck that she did get was split between my mom, who has her older son, and me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Mom usually contacts me a few times a year. Dad has been calling once a week since he got out of prison. He is in a halfway house now, but he is definitely interested in having a relationship with his son. He has been Very respectful to me and seems sincere about getting his life together and living right. I'm praying it works out but I do feel like I want to be careful about how their relationship is handled. I worry about the little guy getting attached to dad and dad going back to prison or back to his old ways. Could I send you a private message with a link to a news story about him? I need some advice about what I should agree to as far as visitation and contact and what I should expect if this ends up in court.

ETA: Mom is ordered to pay more but was a server so the small paycheck that she did get was split between my mom, who has her older son, and me.
Send me the link in a PM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">