• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entry and 30 day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

It is my place. They could steal. Or have COVID!!!!
It's not "your place". The apartment belongs to the LL and s/he allows you to rent it. Put a mask on and make sure they wear a mask before they enter. It seems to me that there is something going on in the apartment that you desperately do not want the LL to see.

Please read the LL/Tenant laws for Florida to see what your rights are and what the LL rights are.

reenzz

It is a long story, I only owe this month to the new landlord. I owe two months to the old one. Now I have a job again.

The new landlord has been sending letters and wants me to fill out a form with all my information like SSN etc.

I believe that is illegal.

Also, they moved all other tenants (9) on their lease as month to month with 30-day notice. I was told that is an eviction trick.
So, you are now required to pay back all past due rent.

Gail in Georgia

At this point in time it is likely you only owe rent to the new landlord.

Your old landlord may possibly sue you for the two months you did not pay them. It is up to them to file against you.

Since it appears you are now working there is no excuse you can provide for not paying rent. If you need some time to gather this money together it is best NOT to dodge this new landlord but rather attempt to work with them. They are not going to simply "go away".

Gail

FL-Tenant

Okay, so their trick to make month to month leases and evict people that way despite CDC is legal?

And they can enter my apartment without my consent?

What if I put a sign up that I am under quarantine?

Just Blue

Okay, so their trick to make month to month leases and evict people that way despite CDC is legal?

And they can enter my apartment without my consent?

What if I put a sign up that I am under quarantine?
It's not a "trick". Tenants have a choice if they wish to sign or not. There is nothing illegal about the NEW landlord asking tenants to sign a NEW lease with them. And yes, as you were already told the landlord may enter his property with proper notice. And if you try a b.s. him/her with a false covid-19 quarantine excuse expect to find other living arrangements as soon as your current lease expires...and even sooner if your current lease has specific wording regarding landlord entry. Breaching your lease can lead to eviction.

It's SOP for a new LL to do an inspection of his property to check for damages/needed repairs/issues. Why you are being so resistant to this is puzzling.

Are you hording or something...is that why you don't want the LL in the apartment?

quincy

The old LL was a slumlord and lost the lease.
So ... you believe your name is unknown because the old landlord lost the lease?

You still can be sued. You still can be evicted.

I recommend you pay your past due rent, or make payment arrangements, and start finding a new place to live before court action is taken. It will be hard to find a landlord willing to rent to you with an eviction showing up on your records.

Just Blue

I just want to buy some time. As long as they do not know my name, they can not evict me.
They actually can. You would be better off facing your problem rather than hiding from it. The more difficult you make it for the LL the more angry s/he will get and the less likely they will cut you a break. Your current actions are self-destructive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">