• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entry and 30 day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I just want to buy some time. As long as they do not know my name, they can not evict me.
"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

You come across in this thread as an irritating loon.

Were I the new landlord, I'd start taking the steps to evict you.
1) There are many ways to find out what your legal name is. Do not hang your hopes on that.
2) If the current landlord doesn't have a copy of the lease and you aren't sharing info, then don't count on having months left on your lease. If he assumes that you are month-to-month and treats you as such, the court might forgive his error, considering that you're a deadbeat who doesn't pay rent.

bcr229

Also, they moved all other tenants (9) on their lease as month to month with 30-day notice. I was told that is an eviction trick.
This is not illegal nor is it an eviction trick. This is a natural business and economic side effect of the government putting a moratorium on evictions due to non-payment of rent.

The moratoriums have increased business risks for landlords, so landlords will mitigate those risks through shorter-term leases, rent increases, tighter screening on tenants, etc. As a tenant you need to be aware of that, unless you want an eviction on your record, fewer landlords willing to rent to you, paying more rent to the few landlords who will rent to you, and likely for a worse unit than you occupy now.

I would get in touch with the new property owner ASAP, sign a new lease, permit the inspection, and hand over a written list of everything that needs to be repaired in the unit.

FL-Tenant

Ony more question: My neighbor just told me that the new owner called the cops on him and they came and forced him to give his name etc. to the owner.

Is that legal?

reenzz

Ony more question: My neighbor just told me that the new owner called the cops on him and they came and forced him to give his name etc. to the owner.

Is that legal?
It likely is legal since the landlord has the reight to know who is occupying his property. I find it humorous that your talking about legalities when you are illegally not paying your rent. And BTW....Florida is a VERY landlord friendly state.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Is that legal?
Yes, FL-Squatter, it is legal.

There is no law against a property owner contacting the cops if there is suspicion of illegal activity on their property.

FL-Tenant

Thank you for all your answers. I am in shock. I can't believe I was wrong, but you are the lawyers. I took advice from the other tenants. But they are mostly drug people. I am not. The former owner is a lawyer and a CPA, but he is a slumlord. He never fixed anything. He turned the hot water off if you were a day late. When my wall unit broke, he said I broke it, I should buy a new one. It was 11 years old!!

He does not know my name. He had a contract with my mom and I stayed when she passed.

I did not have a job for four months and I am just back to work.

I was just trying to see how I could use CDC and COVID to my advantage. Many other tenants are also not paying.

Gail in Georgia

"The former owner is a lawyer and a CPA but he is a slumlord. He never fixed anything"
"He had a contract with my mom and I stayed when she passed".

And yet you continued to reside there...

How often have we heard someone complain that their landlord was a "slumlord" but that they don't really mind living in such conditions as long as they can do it rent free.

Bizarre.

Gail

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for all your answers. I am in shock. I can't believe I was wrong, but you are the lawyers. I took advice from the other tenants. But they are mostly drug people. I am not. The former owner is a lawyer and a CPA, but he is a slumlord. He never fixed anything. He turned the hot water off if you were a day late. When my wall unit broke, he said I broke it, I should buy a new one. It was 11 years old!!

He does not know my name. He had a contract with my mom and I stayed when she passed.

I did not have a job for four months and I am just back to work.

I was just trying to see how I could use CDC and COVID to my advantage. Many other tenants are also not paying.
FL-Squatter, you do not have a lease. You are a month-to-month tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">