• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate planning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

silverpat

Mississippi
my husband owns a business which is a corporation with him as president,our son as vice president and me as secretary. my question is in the event of my husbands' death is the corporation part of his estate? And if so, what is the best way of dealing with it to prevent taxes?

ALawyer

The value of HIS shares, not the business as a whole, are part of his estate. There are NO estate taxes unless the estate is at least $675,000 total (assuming he did not make any gifts over $10,000 per person earlier) and to the extent he leaves shares to you there is no estate tax on HIS death but there would be on yours, so many couldbes use an A-B trust that gets the effective value up to $1.35 million.

If your business is worth a lot, a good estate planning lawyer can help DRAMATICALLY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">