• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrustUser

anyone care to discuss ?

it is supposed to be eliminated for this year, and then back in 2011.

i have read that there is interest in congress to bring it back retroactively, for this year.

everything i have read in the past has been that if we get rid of estate tax, we will also get rid of stepped up basis with inherited assets.

i just think it is gonna be a huge disaster, hoping that beneficiaries are gonna be able to come up with the basis of assets of a decedent.

they talk about taxes only after a certain amount. but most wealthy have irrevocable trusts that will last for a long time, so no taxation at all, after the initial year of death.

for me, the real problem is that we have way, way too much govt. if we got govt to a level that our forefathers had intended, most taxation issues would be somewhat moot, since there would be such a minimal amount to support.

i think we should have great concern with the evergrowing elimination of capitalism in our country, in favor of govt controlling everything.

FlyingRon

Stepped up basis has been around forever.
The estate tax exclusion amounts have been toyed with constantly for a long time. It goes up, it goes down, it's set to sunset, yada, yada.

I don't buy that they are necessarily tied together.

The question isn't a legal one, it's one of politics.
Lobby your congressman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">