• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kegler123

I am in a foreclosure. The property has been auctioned. Some one who said they were the buyer showed up at the property and asked if I could be out in 2 weeks. I asked to see any court papers so that I would know he was who he said he was. He did not have any. During this whole ordeal I have never received any document or notice from any court except for a bill for failure to appear. I did not even know I was supposed to appear. Never was offered a loan mediation. I have not been able to afford a lawyer(wanted a retainer I could not come close to affording) but I just started receiving Social Security and now can afford a lawyer if there is anything worth fighting. Also would like to know if there are lawyers that have expertise in evictions. I would be amenable to using one if it would do me any good. Need to know what items I can take from the house, and whether I can have an estate sale to sell off what I don't need to take with me. I have ceiling fans, oven, dishwasher and other appliances. Any help appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?

Those built-in appliances and fixtures are a part of the house. You can't gut the house because you don't own it.
Since you have the money for it, you should seek the assistance of an attorney. You may check your state's BAR website, or check at www.attorneypages.com.

kegler123

The state is CT. I am in a foreclosure. The property has been auctioned. Some one who said they were the buyer showed up at the property and asked if I could be out in 2 weeks. He said he would move or get rid of everything if I agreed. He did not show any court documents to indicate he was the buyer. During this whole ordeal I have never received any document or notice from any court except for a bill for failure to appear. I did not even know I was supposed to appear. Never was offered a loan modification. I have not been able to afford a lawyer(wanted a retainer I could not come close to affording) but I just started receiving Social Security and now can afford a lawyer if there is anything worth fighting. Also would like to know if there are lawyers that have expertise in evictions. I would be amenable to using one if it would do me any good. Need to know what items I can take from the house, and whether I can have an estate sale to sell off what I don't need to take with me. I have ceiling fans, oven, dishwasher and other appliances. Any help appreciated.

kegler123

Took your advice concerning attorneyspages.com on this site. Searched in practices area for both foreclosure and evictions. Neither were listed. I am not intending to gut the house. Just want what is fairly mine to sell.

PayrollHRGuy

Took your advice concerning attorneyspages.com on this site. Searched in practices area for both foreclosure and evictions. Neither were listed. I am not intending to gut the house. Just want what is fairly mine to sell.
The items you mentioned aren't yours. They now belong to whoever purchased the house at auction.

If that lookup didn't find you an attorney contact your local or state Bar Association.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ct+bar+attorney+search&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=41487077,-72523414,38887&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjJ09nfmqvkAhURVK0KHWG8BrkQjGp6BAgKEDs&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d41.8118915!2d-72.0333273!2m2!1d40.983138499999995!2d-73.71776559999999;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The problem is, all the items you specifically listed are part of the house. The house has been auctioned; it is no longer fairly yours, and neither is the washer, dryer, ceiling fans, fridge. You can probably take your toaster oven, but not the wall mounted microwave, and definitely not the regular oven/stove.

LdiJ

The problem is, all the items you specifically listed are part of the house. The house has been auctioned; it is no longer fairly yours, and neither is the washer, dryer, ceiling fans, fridge. You can probably take your toaster oven, but not the wall mounted microwave, and definitely not the regular oven/stove.
I partially disagree. I agree that anything that is affixed to the house cannot be removed, like a ceiling fan, a wall mounted microwave, a built in dishwasher etc., they belong to the house, but not the washer and dryer, fridge or anything else that just plugs in. After all, this is not a house being sold in a normal manner. It was a foreclosure. The law does not require a house to be sold with appliances. Yes, its become the custom to sell houses with appliances, but its not the law.

Zigner

I partially disagree. I agree that anything that is affixed to the house cannot be removed, like a ceiling fan, a wall mounted microwave, a built in dishwasher etc., they belong to the house, but not the washer and dryer, fridge or anything else that just plugs in. After all, this is not a house being sold in a normal manner. It was a foreclosure. The law does not require a house to be sold with appliances. Yes, its become the custom to sell houses with appliances, but its not the law.
I agree with your point about the OP being able to remove the items that are not considered fixtures.

LdiJ

I agree with your point about the OP being able to remove the items that are not considered fixtures.
Re-read Red's post that I partially disagreed with. She specifically stated that they couldn't take the washer, dryer, fridge or stove.

LdiJ

Was there a washer, dryer, fridge there when the OP purchased the house?
It doesn't matter. There are no laws requiring plug in appliances to remain with the home when an owner of the home moves out. Its simply something that has been customary to put in purchase contracts.

Zigner

Re-read Red's post that I partially disagreed with. She specifically stated that they couldn't take the washer, dryer, fridge or stove.
Why? I agreed with you.

Full Disclosure: I initially questioned your disagreement with Red, but I quickly edited my post because I saw what you were saying ;)

LdiJ

I doubt there is a law that requires that the floor remains when a homeowner moves out.
There may not be...LOL. However, if there is no law that you cannot gut the place, then even built in fixtures could be removed since the OP wouldn't be breaching any sales contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">