• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JRsr

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I allowed my son and his family to move in with me in late October of 2022. They were about to get evicted in PA now for many reasons they need to go and won’t take a hint. What is the correct legal process to evict them? I looked at the Virginia landlord - tenant handbook but it doesn’t make sense to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just Blue

I allowed my son and his family to move in with me in late October of 2022. They were about to get evicted in PA now for many reasons they need to go and won’t take a hint. What is the correct legal process to evict them? I looked at the Virginia landlord - tenant handbook but it doesn’t make sense to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
You need to follow the landlord tenant laws for your state.

If you don't have a term lease with sonny then you give him/his family a 30 day notice to vacate.

Again, follow the landlord/tenant statute for your state.

JRsr

You need to follow the landlord tenant laws for your state.

If you don't have a term lease with sonny then you give him/his family a 30 day notice to vacate.

Again, follow the landlord/tenant statute for your state.
Thank you for your fast response.

LdiJ

You do need to follow the handbook but the general process is that first you give them written notice to vacate (apparently 30 days notice as indicated below), then, if they do not move out at the end of the notice period, then you have to file for an eviction in court. (your handbook will tell you which court) if they do not move out when they get the eviction notice from the court, then you have a hearing and the judge orders them to move out. If they do not move out, then an officer of the court (or a sheriff) comes to the house and physically moves them out.

I will tell you from direct experience that the period between giving them the written notice, and them finally being forced out will be a very uncomfortable period of time in your home. I highly recommend being blunt with them about moving out now, rather than relying on hints. Be prepared for them to beg and plead for more time, and then perhaps to resort to threats that you will never see them or the grandchildren again if you go through with an eviction. Also, be prepared for the whole thing, from start to finish, to take as much as three months. I had to evict my grandson's father and his other children from my home, and it was not pretty.

adjusterjack

Stop hinting and give them written notice with a deadline date to move out. If that doesn't work file eviction through the courts.

Forget about handbooks and statutes.

It's simple. Notice to leave followed by eviction through the courts.

It may be cheaper, easier, and better for your relationship to offer cash for keys - maybe offer to pay the security deposit and first month on a new place to live.

Then when they move our, change your locks.

zddoodah

now for many reasons they need to go and won’t take a hint.
So...stop hinting and be direct.

What is the correct legal process to evict them?
You're not going to get any sort of step-by-step "how to" guide on an internet message board, but the process starts with a written notice to vacate. If, after you stop hinting and directly tell your son and his family that they need to move by a date certain, they haven't moved or at least started the process, then you should consult with a local attorney. Since they're actually living in your home, the process could become contentious, and you don't want to risk screwing things up.

quincy

Yup. And there is nothing more direct than handing a 30-Day Notice to Quit to the unwelcome guests/tenants. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yup. And there is nothing more direct than handing a 30-Day Notice to Quit to the unwelcome guests/tenants. :)
I suppose it depends on the type of relationship OP wants with their son/family moving forward…

quincy

I suppose it depends on the type of relationship OP wants with their son/family moving forward…
I think if it’s to the point of Jrsr seeking help in evicting his son and family, the relationship has already soured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">