• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction of a guest "squatter"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maui County, Hawaii. I own a home and rent out several rooms in my home to help cover the cost of my mortgage which is very common place here on Maui. I have been an active landlord for over 10 years without an issue until now. I am guilty of having someone move in a year ago without a lease and does not pay rent "a guest/boyfriend". Unfortunately my house guest has damaged property, made lewd and racially incentive comments to my family members, threatened to beat up people and has issues with drugs and alcohol. No arrest or formal drug charges have been brought up against him. I know this shows very poor judgement on my part to allow this to happen, but now I am trying to remedy this situation and have him removed from the residence. He has refused and says I will have to pursue legal action to get him out.

Given this set of circumstances what are my rights, do I have to serve him a legal eviction notice? how does this notice have to be served? How long do I have to give him?
what kind of cost am I looking at incurring?

Just Blue

Maui County, Hawaii. I own a home and rent out several rooms in my home to help cover the cost of my mortgage which is very common place here on Maui. I have been an active landlord for over 10 years without an issue until now. I am guilty of having someone move in a year ago without a lease and does not pay rent "a guest/boyfriend". Unfortunately my house guest has damaged property, made lewd and racially incentive comments to my family members, threatened to beat up people and has issues with drugs and alcohol. No arrest or formal drug charges have been brought up against him. I know this shows very poor judgement on my part to allow this to happen, but now I am trying to remedy this situation and have him removed from the residence. He has refused and says I will have to pursue legal action to get him out.

Given this set of circumstances what are my rights, do I have to serve him a legal eviction notice? how does this notice have to be served? How long do I have to give him?
what kind of cost am I looking at incurring?
You have to follow the HI LL/Tenant Statute for eviction of your boyfriend/tenant.

adjusterjack

I have been an active landlord for over 10 years without an issue until now.
You were long overdue.

my house guest has damaged property, made lewd and racially incentive comments to my family members, threatened to beat up people and has issues with drugs and alcohol.
You should also explore the possibility of getting a restraining order and having the police put him out since he threatened you with violence, damaged your property, and uses drugs.

No arrest or formal drug charges have been brought up against him
Have you reported each and every incident to the police when they happened?

If not, you had better start making a contemporaneous paper trail of police reports.

LdiJ

You were long overdue.

You should also explore the possibility of getting a restraining order and having the police put him out since he threatened you with violence, damaged your property, and uses drugs.

Have you reported each and every incident to the police when they happened?

If not, you had better start making a contemporaneous paper trail of police reports.
Otherwise, you need to treat him as a tenant and follow your state's landlord/tenant procedures to evict him.

Thank you for your responses, I agree that the next step is starting a police paper trail regarding these incidents to establish grounds for eviction.
The restraining order is not something I thought of since the threats were not directly against me but one of my family members who do not reside with me. I have recorded some of the things he has said and I am continuing to try to convince him he is not welcome here and needs to move on. I understand that with someone in this state there is really no logical reasoning, maybe it was wishful thinking that he would get the point. I believe that his current financial situation and the fact that he has burned many if not all his bridges has a lot to do with him taking this stance and he can not afford to support himself with his habits. Maui is a very expensive place to live.

justalayman

Is it within your ability and worth considering to help him find other accommodations?

Sometimes people don’t leave because they don’t have anywhere to go.. sometimes a little help allows them to accept they must leave where they are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">