• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hecter

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I own and live in my own home and rent out extra bedrooms to help pay my mortgage. One of my friends moved in about a year ago and it got to the point where he continues to pay me late,throws his trash all over the place, and there are strange odors emitting from his room. I confronted him and told him to move out ASAP. Can I do this? SInce he was my friend, I didn't have him sign a lease or agreement until recently (i know, big mistake) Now he refuses to sign anything. I am concerned he is trying to screw me over in some legal way. last night he handed me printed letter in which he signed and dated requesting all times and amounts he payed me. What do you think he is trying to pull?

Also, do I need a rental license to rent out these rooms? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Happy Trails

hecter said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I own and live in my own home and rent out extra bedrooms to help pay my mortgage. One of my friends moved in about a year ago and it got to the point where he continues to pay me late,throws his trash all over the place, and there are strange odors emitting from his room. I confronted him and told him to move out ASAP. Can I do this? SInce he was my friend, I didn't have him sign a lease or agreement until recently (i know, big mistake) Now he refuses to sign anything. I am concerned he is trying to screw me over in some legal way. last night he handed me printed letter in which he signed and dated requesting all times and amounts he payed me. What do you think he is trying to pull?

Also, do I need a rental license to rent out these rooms? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Can I do this?
No, you have to evict according to the MN landlord/tenant law.

Periodic Tenancy Leases
If there is nothing mentioned about the length of the tenancy in the rental agreement, the lease is periodic. This means the rental period runs from one rent payment to the next. (32) For example, if the rent is due once a month, on the first of every month, the rental period runs from that day through the day before the next rent payment. In this case, that would be on the last day of each month.

A periodic tenancy is automatically renewed each rental period until it is ended by either the landlord or the tenant. The person ending the tenancy must give the other a Òproper notice.Ó The length of notice and the form it must take will be stated in the lease. (33) If the lease does not state a notice requirement, state law requires written notice be given one full rental period plus one day before the tenancy ends. (34) For example, a tenant with a month-to-month tenancy who wishes to leave at the end of June would have to give written notice no later than May 31.

If you are going to be a landlord, you need to learn how to do things legally.
http://www.uslandlord.com/laws/mnstatelaw.html

Also, run a google on, "rental license to rent rooms, MN" include your city. The local ordinances will tell you what you should have done in order to rent out rooms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">