• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buffs94

California. Hi, my chapter 7 BK was dismissed in 2003. I included my home in the BK and walked away, thus creating a foreclosure. I recently tried to rent an apartment and now an eviction is showing up. I was not evicted in the traditional sense, I just gave my home back to the bank as a result of bankruptcy. Foreclosures are a long process and by the time they finally took posession of my home, it was 18 months after my discharge. Now it's showing I had an eviction in 2005. Is this right? It doesn't seem right to me. Thanks to anyone who responds. :eek:

Ladynred

Point of clarification - was your bankruptcy DISMISSED or DISCHARGED ?? Huge difference. Dismissed means you never completed the process, discharged means you did and all your debts were discharged.

IF you were DISCHARGED, then there can be NO negative reporting on a discharged debt, and that includes a foreclosure - even if one did legally take place, they cannot report it as such, but must report the bankruptcy.

If you were never evicted, then you need to dispute that eviction with the credit bureaus.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">