• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? State of new jersey

This will be my second time take a tenant to court but my question is the court date will be 4 days before lease is up. What can happen in this case? Trnant may not show up and if not how can I acquire the rent

Gail in Georgia

From the title of your posting, one is led to believe this second time in court is to try and get a judgment for an eviction, not to get rent from the tenant.

These are two separate legal matters.

Which are you trying to go for?

Gail

Gail in Georgia

"Well am trying to get rent money"

A court is not going to "make" your tenants give you the rent money. It can only grant you a judgment for your lawsuit regarding these funds. It would still be up to you to get the money.

You would need to research whether wage garnishment is allowed in your state (assuming your tenants are working). Do you have access to their bank account for a possible bank garnishment? If they'd paid previously by check the account information will be on the check.

Gail

wage garnishment is possible in my state. so i would have to enqurire how to get that done. i also know where the tenant work

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">