• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunny76

My ex-boyfriend is trying to sue me, after two years of being broken up, for money that he claims I owe him for furniture. While we were together we bought furniture that he paid for and he made me pay his half of the rent for months to make up for buying the furniture. Now he claims that I never paid him. We did not have a written agreement, but he did email me asking for the money. I wrote him back that I would pay him just to get him to leave me alone. I am wondering if those emails are considered writen agreements. Also, I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if there was a statute of limitations on small claims like this. Is it too late for him to sue me and can he even sue me given the circumstances?
The furniture was purchased in August 1998. I moved out in December of 1998. The last communication about the furniture was October 1999, until now. The last payment that he made on the couches was in August 1999. However, he did sell the couches to the people that moved into the apartment after him for $500. He did not want to move them with him to CA. He wants me to split the money that he lost on the couches.

[Edited by sunny76 on 01-15-2001 at 10:26 AM]

JETX

First, you need to understand that ANYONE can sue ANYONE. So, to answer your question.... Yes, he can sue you. The real question is would he prevail.

Also:
1) Yes, your email can be used against you in court. It is easier to challenge its validity, since email is pretty easy to fake. (Note: if you intend to use his email against him, be sure to turn on the 'full header' information first, then print out each email.) Also, print out all of your email to him as you sent it, to prevent its alteration.

2) Your emailing him that you would pay him the money went a LONG way to proving his case against you (and severely damaged any case against him). You need to send him a 'clarification' email right away. Explain that your earlier email was in error and deny that you owe him anything.

3) Yes, there is a statute of limitations in PA. Please provide specific dates (purchase, last payment, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">