• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Filing Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I got a notice yesterday from the Federal Bankruptcy Court. My son's father has filed for bankruptcy. They are informing that "I may be a creditor of the debtor", and letting me know of a meeting of creditors.

It says the creditors are welcome to attend, but not required.

Son's father is current with his support payments.

Will his bankruptcy filing affect the payments in any way? Is it prudent for me to attend the meeting?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I got a notice yesterday from the Federal Bankruptcy Court. My son's father has filed for bankruptcy. They are informing that "I may be a creditor of the debtor", and letting me know of a meeting of creditors.

It says the creditors are welcome to attend, but not required.

Son's father is current with his support payments.

Will his bankruptcy filing affect the payments in any way? Is it prudent for me to attend the meeting?
child support is one of those debts that will not disappear until the obligor dies. they don't go away with bankruptcy.

what happens is, you were listed. cuz he is TRYING to discharge the debt.

as far as i know, you going is a waste of time. all bankruptcy trustess are aware of this law. you can go, cheer the ex on so now he has MORE available funds to pay you back from. that would be my only incentive.

nextwife

child support is one of those debts that will not disappear until the obligor dies. they don't go away with bankruptcy.

what happens is, you were listed. cuz he is TRYING to discharge the debt.

as far as i know, you going is a waste of time. all bankruptcy trustess are aware of this law. you can go, cheer the ex on so now he has MORE available funds to pay you back from. that would be my only incentive.
What debt? She said he is CURRENT.

So is it still safe to say going is a waste of time, or is there some reason that I was notified of this meeting that would make it prudent for me to attend?

Proserpina

So is it still safe to say going is a waste of time, or is there some reason that I was notified of this meeting that would make it prudent for me to attend?
If you think it's worth the gas and the time (you'd be there probably an hour or so because that's how they schedule things - several cases all in the same time slot although the actual one-on-one with the Trustee is usually about 5 minutes if it's a simple case) by all means attend.

But if he's current, there really doesn't seem to be much point! :)

milspecgirl

don't bother. All debts are required to be listed and the creditors notified, even if they aren't dischargeable debts. It was just a informational letter. You are fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">