• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-girl friend and my money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



this is a strange one my ex-girlfriend that i got involved with and was still married at the time is now not wanting to continue which is fine and mutual. but i bought her a engagement ring and a car she has made most of the payment minus insurance and dmv fees and i have borrowed her in excess of $75,000 which i deposited in to her account to help her with a multitude of financial problems but she has resources and this has left me in tight financial problems. there are a lot variables to this but i kept all reciepts and checks do i have any recourse or is this just the cost of being a fool in love.



Senior Member
For this very generic question, it really doesn't matter what state you are in (though, you really do need to read the RED text at the top of the screen).

What recourse are you asking about?? If you are implying that these moneys were a loan and you want repayment, any case will come down to the evidence that you can provide that the money and purchases were loans and not gifts (obviously, she will claim gifts, you will claim loans). Before you consider taking any legal action, you need to consider:

1) Do you have sufficient PROOF that will convince a court that these amounts were loans and not gifts??? This can be verbal or written, but has to be enough to convince the court. Also, you need to think about what evidence she might have to show that they were NOT loans or were gifts.
2) Can she make any claims that SHE loaned YOU money?? If so, she could file a counter-claim and any possible award would be offset by HER provable claims of loans.
3) What are your chances of recovery IF you were to win??
A lot of time and money is wasted in lawsuits that are basically 'grudge' matches that can never be paid.
4) How much more money are you willing to 'invest' in any legal action? The type (and amount) of claim that you make will require a suit in a 'higher court' (not Small Claims). This means an attorney and some substantial potential expenses.

You need to honestly consider the above facts before you make any decision to proceed. Finally, if you do decide to go forward, find a competent attorney licensed in your state.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential