• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants to talk to our daughter. Do I have to allow it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jubilee123

What is the name of your state?WI
My daughter is 7 years old and has only met her dad once. He suddenly has a bee in his bonnet that he wants to talk to her on the phone after having been abusive to me several times over the phone and in person when he met her. He is not on her birth certificate, he has no custody or visitation per the courts and has never had any interest in her before. He reached out to me recently and said he wanted to meet her but it turned out that he wanted a reconciliation, when I turned him down he started threatening to harm me so I have been ignoring his calls. I am right to do this right? I don't want to open the door for him to hurt her emotionally or either of us physically.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?WI
My daughter is 7 years old and has only met her dad once. He suddenly has a bee in his bonnet that he wants to talk to her on the phone after having been abusive to me several times over the phone and in person when he met her. He is not on her birth certificate, he has no custody or visitation per the courts and has never had any interest in her before. He reached out to me recently and said he wanted to meet her but it turned out that he wanted a reconciliation, when I turned him down he started threatening to harm me so I have been ignoring his calls. I am right to do this right? I don't want to open the door for him to hurt her emotionally or either of us physically.
Has paternity been legally established through the courts? Do you have a support order?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not have to allow it now. But if he goes back to court and gets a visitation order, you will have to allow it then.

Jubilee123

He lives in Texas. Is it likely that he could take her or would be probably have to come to wisconsin to see her? I have a lot of concern about this becoming retaliatory rather than about connecting with her.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
First he has to establish paternity through the court.
Then he has to petition the court in Wisconsin for parenting time. The court may or may not allow him to do this telephonically.
This costs money.
And if he hires a lawyer with an ounce of sense, he will be informed that you will likely counter with a petition for child support and ask that travel costs be on him.

If he takes the plunge, do petition for child support and asked that he bear the transportation costs.
Additionally ask for some introductory period where the 2 can get acquainted, preferably with reunification therapy.

eerelations

And document every threat he's made to harm you. Also every admission that his desire to contact his daughter is really about reconciling with you. Save all texts, emails and voicemail messages. This could be useful down the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">