• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife gave her baby my last name and it isnt mine what can i do to have it removed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snscribner

NC.

My ex wife gave her baby my last name we have been divorced for two years now and the baby is not mine. I do not want her giving some child my last name when its not my kid. Is there anyhting i can do to make it to where she has to have my last name removed?

Proserpina

NC.

My ex wife gave her baby my last name we have been divorced for two years now and the baby is not mine. I do not want her giving some child my last name when its not my kid. Is there anyhting i can do to make it to where she has to have my last name removed?

Your wife can name her child Bill Gates if she wishes - it's entirely up to her.

Sorry.

(I'm guessing that your wife didn't revert back to her maiden name, right?)

TinkerBelleLuvr

my point is that if she changed her name when she got married and has chosen NOT to change her name again, then the last name she is currently using is her LEGAL name. Therefore, it will be the same name she probably chose for the baby. Now, if it gets to court, the baby's name will probably change again - only it won't be the OP going to court, but the baby's daddy.

Just Blue

NC.

Do you own the "rights" to your last name? How many people in share it....10, 000...20, 0000?????????????

ecmst12

Personally, I'm kinda glad my hubby's ex isn't still using his last name.

Not, of course, that I've changed MY name yet, and I'm not even sure if I will (well I probably will eventually) but that's not the point :)

LdiJ

This is so "classic" and people just don't "get it".

A last name belongs to the individual who has it. It doesn't matter how or why the person has that last name, it simply is their last name.

A divorced woman can choose to change her last name back to their maiden name, but she is NOT required to do so. A divorced woman can choose to have a subsequent child carry her legal last name.

Antigone*

Personally, I'm kinda glad my hubby's ex isn't still using his last name.

Not, of course, that I've changed MY name yet, and I'm not even sure if I will (well I probably will eventually) but that's not the point :)
Em, you tied knot already??? We didn't even have a virtual shower for you.

ecmst12

We got the quaker marriage license, still having the ceremony/party in October as planned....after that is probably when I'll do the name change.

Antigone*

We got the quaker marriage license, still having the ceremony/party in October as planned....after that is probably when I'll do the name change.
Some time in September we'll have the virtual wedding shower for you. Mimosas for everyone

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">