• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife ruining my husband's credit with old mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnie2e9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Recently we checked my husband's credit report, only to discover a mortgage company he had never heard of in his negative items. It appears to be the mortgage company that bought out his old mortgage for his old home that his ex wife lives in. She has been 30-60 days past due on several occasions...thus it is affecting by husband's credit. He is listed on the mortgage as joint holder. He has been out of that house for over ten years and divorced for over 8 years. We are assuming that this is the original mortgage they got together (because it lists the orginal mortgage date of 10/1991) and that it was bought ortransferred to another lender. However in his divorce decree it states that his ex would retain the house, and my husband would "execute a Quit Claim deed transferring his interest in the house" to his ex. Which he did. It also states that she is" responsible for any and all payments, obligations, and/or liabilities respecting that property with no contributions to same by Plaintiff (my husband). Defendant( his ex) shall fully and completly indemnify Plantiff with respect to the same. Further defendant shall make a resonable effort to refinance said residence in order to remove Plantiff's name from the mortgage obligation. If defendant fails to pay any three consecutive mortgage payments on the property, and Defendant has not been successful in removing Plantiff's name from the mortgage obligation then the property shall be immediately listed for sale."
Okay so apparently she hasn't gotten a new mortgage, and she hasn't been 3 consecutive months late only 2, how do we get this do stop destroying my husband's credit? We have the name of the lender and are going to call them, but would like to be as prepared as possible about his rights before we call. Any info would be helpful.

FlyingRon

He should have never agreed to QC the deed before the property was refinanced. That's neither here nor there at this point.

THe divorce decree doesn't invalidate his obligation to the previous contracts he has signed (mortgage). He is still liable for those payments and his credit will reflect those. He may have a separate course of action against his ex through the divorce decree.

He's going to have to go back to the court he got the divorce and see what can be done for his ex's contempt.

His only way to safe guard his credit in the interim is to make sure the payments are made timely.

According to OP's post, the divorce states that the ex must MISS 3 consecutive payments (not just be late) AND fail to get the exhusband's name off the mortgage.

According to the facts stated, ex hasn't actually missed a single payment.

While the QC is water under the bridge, can't imagine how exhusband's atty let that one slip by....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">