• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelPurvis

I currently live in Pa. Back when I was young and dumb I was arrested for possesion of hashish in Buffalo Grove Ill. I had also been arrested for pot in Wisconsin. This was over 20 years ago. Now I'm 45 and I tried to buy a shotgun (hunting) and was denied. I have read in this forum that it is possible to get these expunged from my record. It has also been stated that I can handle it myself. I'm not a rocket scientist, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in this fix, but I feel I can handle this myself. How do I get the ball rolling?

Thank You,
MelPurvis

M

modernist

In NJ a first time drug possession offense can be expunged in relatively quick order for a minor, and other expungements, for non-felon charges, are 5 year waiting periods, but this is usually hinged; as are most expungements, to a clean record for the 5 year waiting period. This is a one time deal. So conviction number 2 here would stick with you no matter what.

Ask a legal aid/lawyers referal atty whether you would be eligible to even reap this benefit considering your dual convictions/dual states.

As for ease of filing, well thats relative. Its easy for me, but then I was a paralegal. A bit of of paperwork, and the need to properly serve applicable parties and adhere to the State's statute governing same (start there, noting most states have online Statute bases where you can type in "expungement" under search. See Megalaw.com for linmks to most State Statute databases.

One filing will usually run around $100 (sheriff's service fees/filing fees/mailing fees where applicable) to do it yourself...hoping that none of the parites recieving notice dispute your request for expungement...then its a whole nother' ball game. But again, your dual convictions pretty much have precluded an expungment as an option in most states I am aware of, but then again, I am not a lawyer so do seek a criminal attorney's advise as they would be most familiar with this pleading.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">