• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

External camera violation of peace bond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, I think the OP is overthinking this. Blinking lights on a router do nothing to show that the OP is accessing the home network. His own statements will do far more damage than a few millivolts running through the LED's.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The best answer, IMO, to whether you’re in violation is maybe/maybe not. It will greatly depend on the judge. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

You’re welcome.

quincy

For reference, here are links to the laws on protection order violations and on stalking:

Violations of Protection Order: https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-273-6/

Stalking:
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-646-9/

Jason.j, false allegations or not and whether it seems “fair” or not, you are in many ways now at the mercy of your wife. The no contact order means you must be extremely careful in what you do and say or your wife can report a violation of the order (rightly or wrongly). You then will be put in a position of defending yourself.

As many of us have noted, the explanations you are offering in your defense here raise questions about your intentions. A court will be judging your explanations and intentions, as well, should a violation be reported. A judge is more likely to err on the side of caution by extending a protection order or adding more restrictions rather than by lifting it.

I recommend you have an attorney in your area assist you. If you have a question about what you can and can’t do safely, rely on your attorney’s advice and direction.

Granted, four months is a long time, but one year is longer, and any time at all spent in a jail cell can seem longest of all. Don’t let it get to that point.

Jason.j

Thank you all for the last page or so of posts, definitely some good advice here. I never asked to sugar coat it for me, and I'm always happy for some constructive criticism.

quincy

Thank you all for the last page or so of posts, definitely some good advice here. I never asked to sugar coat it for me, and I'm always happy for some constructive criticism.
Good. Now it is time for you to find an attorney in your area.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you look at your modem/router and have nothing connected, it's lights (commonly internet and WiFi) will be solid and maybe blink once a minute, if that. When you proceed to actually use it (such as watching YouTube for instance), those lights will flicker.
Not on my router, it doesn't. Mine only has lights blinking if there's an interruption to the service. Last night we had a twenty second power outage and it took about five minutes for the wireless to kick back in. During that five minutes we had orange lights and green lights both blinking and steady. But once the wireless was restored, we had a steady white light. As I have right this minute. And right this minute, I have two different laptops, a tablet and two cell phones in use.

quincy

Not on my router, it doesn't. Mine only has lights blinking if there's an interruption to the service. Last night we had a twenty second power outage and it took about five minutes for the wireless to kick back in. During that five minutes we had orange lights and green lights both blinking and steady. But once the wireless was restored, we had a steady white light. As I have right this minute. And right this minute, I have two different laptops, a tablet and two cell phones in use.
My modem lights blink whether I'm doing something or not.
I don’t think blinking lights on the modem will be either a good defense or a good offense if trying to show terms of a no contact order were violated. Lights on a modem/router (typically green, red, yellow, white) are at various times solid lights, blinking slowly, blinking quickly, or blinking sporadically depending on the Internet connection and the specific computer process (e.g., booting up, data uploading, data downloading).

However, if key logging software was downloaded surreptitiously on Jason.j’s home computers - to monitor the online activity of the users - that is digital stalking and would be illegal. Hopefully nothing like that is an issue here.

Jason.j should ask his attorney or the court for help in retrieving his computer equipment from his house. I question the use of a third party unless this third party was court-approved and part of the no-contact order.

Reactions: cbg

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You should all stop assuming the worst and just ask for clarification,
You should assume the worst.

Assume that a judge might just assume that there is some credence to your wife's allegations.

Assume that your wife, etc., are looking for ways to destroy you.

Bend over backwards to make sure that your actions don't even hint at the possibility that you are in any way violating the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">