• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extra stamp duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eu_citizen

Hi,
We are a couple, looking to buy a property. My wife has a flat back in an EU country where we are from, and she still has a mortgage on it. I don't have any properties in my name.
I was told that we would have to pay extra 3% stamp duty tax, as we would not be considered "first time" buyers.
Would there be a reasonable way of not paying the extra tax? I was told that there might be an option on having the mortgage in my name only. I am the high earner of the family so I am able to get the same mortgage in my name only, but I don't know what that implies given that we are married. Also, i was told that I might not get the best refinancing options after the mortgage ends, if I am the only one on the mortgage.
The flat back home cannot be easily put into someone else's name(like a family member) because my wife still has a mortgage on it. And I don't know if it would even count towards what is considered to be "first time buyer" in the UK?

Any advice is very welcomed!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">