• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eye surgury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Medicine is not an exact science. Your ophthalmologist could not possibly give you a guarantee of your results, and he certainly could not guarantee you an exact time when you would reach maximum potential. Even if you lost your job because it didn't improve yet, the chances that you could successfully sue the doctor because your left eye is not (yet) better than your right hover somewhere around zero.

quincy

I am not seeing any legal action to pursue, either, based on the information provided.

And certainly if shingles affected the eye after surgery, that would further delay recovery time.

quincy

Snowman never said what the vision was like in his right eye, either - and that matters because the ophthalmologist said his left eye would be better than his right eye after surgery.

justalayman

Snowman never said what the vision was like in his right eye, either - and that matters because the ophthalmologist said his left eye would be better than his right eye after surgery.
Well, we know it must be better than 20/50 since the left eye is causing him to not be able to retain his cdl.

quincy

Possibly.

He said his left eye has 20/50 vision and will take time to "get back to 20/40." The ophthalmologist told him that after surgery his left eye vision would be better than his right eye vision, not that it would be 20/40.

Snowman really needs to make an appointment with his ophthalmologist to discuss his current vision.

Last edited:

justalayman

Possibly.

He said his left eye has 20/50 vision and will take time to "get back to 20/40." The ophthalmologist told him that after surgery his left eye vision would be better than his right eye vision, not that it would be 20/40.

Snowman really needs to make an appointment with his ophthalmologist to discuss his current vision.
But that still means his right eye must be better than 20/50 since,the left eye at 20/50 is what prevents him from obtaining the cdl so the right eye has to be better than that. Due to that and the fact it requires 20/40 or better to obtain a cdl, the right eye must be at least 20/40.

regardless, if the left eye vision was reduced to less than 20/40, he wasn’t getting a cdl unless it could be repaired to 20/40 or better. So op would not not be able to obtain the cdl because of the surgery but simply because his vision wasn’t good enough. That means the doctor did not cause the situation where op couldn’t obtain a cdl.

quincy

Okay. I can accept that.

There is nothing that has been said that indicates there is a legal action available for Snowman to pursue, though. The surgery did not cause his eye problem.

than what did. He clearly ststed when i consulted with him that my left eye would be better than my right eye and also if he saw in my inintial consultation that I marked I had shingles than why did he do the surgery.

quincy

than what did. He clearly ststed when i consulted with him that my left eye would be better than my right eye and also if he saw in my inintial consultation that I marked I had shingles than why did he do the surgery.
I am not an ophthalmologist. I assume however that the surgery you had on your eye was a medical necessity and not a cosmetic procedure. I assume that your doctor explained the possible outcomes, including the risks.

Your ophthalmologist can discuss your surgery with you and tell you what you can expect in the way of vision recovery.

I recommend you get answers from your doctor first, or possibly an evaluation by a different ophthalmologist, before looking for a lawyer. I am not seeing a medical malpractice case in what you are describing but, if you are unhappy with the answers you receive from the doctors you see, you can always consult with an attorney to get an opinion.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Snowman, you go in front of a judge and tell him, "I lost my job because I couldn't pass the physical, and my ophthalmologist told me that if I had surgery my left eye would be better than my right and it isn't so I want to sue him" and he'll laugh you right out of the courtroom. The surgery did not cause your eye deterioration so if you'd never had the surgery you'd still be without a job.

quincy

Apparently his left eye vision was 20/40 prior to surgery. After surgery it was 20/50. But I assume the doctor did not do surgery without a good medical reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I assume likewise. And I also assume, since he does not indicate otherwise, that he STILL has not gone back to the doctor to discuss when he can anticipate an improvement.

quincy

I assume likewise. And I also assume, since he does not indicate otherwise, that he STILL has not gone back to the doctor to discuss when he can anticipate an improvement.
An appointment with his ophthalmologist certainly seems to me to be his best course of action, at least to start. An optometrist cannot tell him what he needs to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">