• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook/Myspace and those under 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I realize in the grand scheme of things, this is small potatoes, but it has me concerned nonetheless.

My son is 12. I have physical custody, dad and I share legal custody. Son has been at dad's for two weeks now for summer visit. In that time, I have become aware that my son has set up a facebook account as well as a myspace account. Both require you to be 13.

Dad is much less involved in active parenting, assuming little if any real responsiblity. To mention my concerns to him would likely just be met with an argument that I am trying to be controlling. My son is also diagnosed/treated with depression and anxiety.

I am very concerned with his new accounts, and his father's lack of responsibilty in this situation. Any legal suggestions on how to get dad to step up to the plate and assume responsibility for son's improper actions while in his care? If I simply get the accounts deleted, it will likely further the alienation that seems to be fostered by dad toward me in my son's mind.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I realize in the grand scheme of things, this is small potatoes, but it has me concerned nonetheless.

My son is 12. I have physical custody, dad and I share legal custody. Son has been at dad's for two weeks now for summer visit. In that time, I have become aware that my son has set up a facebook account as well as a myspace account. Both require you to be 13.

Dad is much less involved in active parenting, assuming little if any real responsiblity. To mention my concerns to him would likely just be met with an argument that I am trying to be controlling. My son is also diagnosed/treated with depression and anxiety.

I am very concerned with his new accounts, and his father's lack of responsibilty in this situation. Any legal suggestions on how to get dad to step up to the plate and assume responsibility for son's improper actions while in his care? If I simply get the accounts deleted, it will likely further the alienation that seems to be fostered by dad toward me in my son's mind.
contact facebook and myspace, and let them know your son is violating the terms of contract.

can't force dad to care. that's a reality.

son doesn't have to know it was you that reported the misuse. this is one of those things, i just don't consider alienation. just cuz son is mad at you for YOU doing the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">