• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair Use of Video Clips of Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David4321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I had a short promotional video (5 minutes) made and posted on my website. It was professionally edited at my own expense, and contains a montage of sound bite clips of me talking from an hour long interview video that originally appeared on a cable show.

Now the interviewer has discovered my website, and is demanding that I have it re-edited to include at least 25% footage of the interviewer asking me questions, inclusion of the show credits segment, and other changes.

I have posted a credit with a link to her website, but she says this is not sufficient, and is threatening legal action.

Don't I have any fair use rights to use sound bites of my own speech for my promotion without the interviewer's creative control?

Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">