• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Sexual Harassment Accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buffs94

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, this woman I work with is the vindictive type. I sent her an email the other day telling her that a coworker farts all day and it's driving me crazy. She reported it to my boss and my boss said that could be considered sexual harassment. Is she right? Even so, can this one incident be enough to get me fired? Thanks!

Yes

Short answer yes. Sadly there is no clear understanding of sexual harassment so almost anything can be called it. Now getting fired by saying someone farts a lot is not very likely but I would becareful as this person will report you again if you have another slip.

mitousmom

Federal law defines sexual harassment as offensive unwelcome behavior of a sexual nature that explicitly or implicitly affects the terms and conditions of an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.

By definition, since farting is not sexual in nature, it doesn't meet the legal definition of sexual harassment that violates federal and most state law. It's also unclear how your report to this woman affected anyone's employment. However, it's also unclear why you made the report to this woman, and not to the employee who is farting or the co-worker's supervisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">