• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father left the country & not paying Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

muddypaws

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

My ex-husband paid a lump sum of Child Support back in September 2011 in order to release the hold to get a passport. He left the country in October and is likely in the country of Belize. My 4 year old daughter and I have not heard anything from him since & I haven't received any child support payments and the balance is now at $5200.

I understand that the US does not have an arrangement set up with Belize in order to collect child support. I just received notice that the Child Support office has directed the MN Dept of Public Safety to suspend his drivers license for non-payment of support.

He possibly has a active PO box locally in MN but I do not have any other address, phone ect for him. I do know where his family is locally though. It is my understanding, that I can only serve him in person. Is there any other way? I read here about docketing a judgement - https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=548.091

Thanks for your advice.

LdiJ

My ex-husband paid a lump sum of Child Support back in September 2011 in order to release the hold to get a passport. He left the country in October and is likely in the country of Belize. My 4 year old daughter and I have not heard anything from him since & I haven't received any child support payments and the balance is now at $5200.

I understand that the US does not have an arrangement set up with Belize in order to collect child support. I just received notice that the Child Support office has directed the MN Dept of Public Safety to suspend his drivers license for non-payment of support.

He possibly has a active PO box locally in MN but I do not have any other address, phone ect for him. I do know where his family is locally though. It is my understanding, that I can only serve him in person. Is there any other way? I read here about docketing a judgement - https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=548.091

Thanks for your advice.
What is the point of going to court right now? If you are correct and the US does not have a treaty with Belize then going to court is useless at this point. Even if you get him served you are not going to be able to enforce anything as long as he is in Belize.

SESmama

In addition, if MN CSE is handling the case then they have far more options open to them and they are fully aware of his lack of payment. Don't throw good money after bad.

CSO286

Thanks for your advice.
Depending upon the action, some service can be done by first class mail.

What are you trying to do?

Enforcement-wise, getting those arrears docketed as a judgment isn't going to change the way the balance is collected or what enforcment remedies will be used on your case.

If the payor has a balance over $2500, then passport denial will be in place, but may not affect your payor directly until he attempts to renew his passport.

After a $500 balance and 3 months of non payment, the case is referred for Driver's License suspension.

A balance of that amount would have already been reported to the credit bureaus, submitted for tax refund intercepts (Not that that will do you any good unless he files US taxes), resulted in holds placed to prevent him form obtaining certain student grants, and any US bank accounts might be eligible for levy action depending on county policy.

There isn't anything that you can do that CSED isn't doing on your behalf.

(As an aside, I work in MN CSE.)

Last edited:

muddypaws

Thanks for the response. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can from my end. Down the road, I wouldn't want a Judge to think I didn't care about him not paying because I didn't file or do anything during this time. All of those enforcement measures CSO286 mentioned are currently enforced on my account. He just received his passport last year and I believe it's good for 10 years. So, unless he loses it that doesn't hold any weight. I believe he is probably in trouble with the IRS for not filing a number of years as well. It sounds like I'm doing everything I can at this point. Thanks for the support.

CSO286

[SUB][/SUB]
Are you sure that's an available option when the other party is not in the country?
We've used it.....But only with countries we have an agreement with.

Given that Belize doesn't have such an agreement in place, any US enforcement remedies wouldn't result in the NCP's extradition for contempt of court in a child support matter.

But, in my post I was directly addressing the OP's statement that the NCP must be personally served. I wanted to indicate that personal service would only be required for certain actions under MN statute. For example, if CSED were docketing a judgement, they could serve both parties by first class mail, and if the computer system had a valid US address (verified by the postal serivce) for them, that would be considered proper service.

Our OP indicated that the NCP possibly still maintains a US post office box.

Last edited:

Proserpina

He could also possibly obtain citizenship in Belize and let his US passport expire if he plans on staying there.

With an ever-growing child support debt AND the IRS chasing him - I think this is a distinct possibility (if he's not already a dual citizen somewhere).

muddypaws

I should also mention he has another child support case from a previous marriage but in a different county. His balance on that case is probably similar to mine.

Since he is in a country where we can't collect, I have been reluctant to talk to my child support worker out of fear that they would just close the case because they can't collect on it.

So, the county would then docket a judgement on my behalf? Is there a specific dollar amount that triggers that next step?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">