• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty Dell Laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The laptop was purchased and ordered to Texas.

For college almost five years ago I purchased a Dell D820, it came out to near $2,200 and being so expensive it was suppose to be a top of the line laptop for CAD.

The entire graphics unit (which I spent extra money purchasing) was faulty and after four years years Nvidia begins litigation. Here is info about the litigation: The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page

Now Nvidia is legally required to fix my graphics card in my four year old laptop if I send it into Dell. Too bad it has now been five years, the laptop is still in pristine but everything in it is extremely outdated.

Would Dell be at fault for selling me a faulty laptop? I am going to try and contact my credit car company and see if they can reverse the charges, Idk if they will go that far back. Besides small claims court is there any way that I could get compensated for the laptop by Dell for this nonsense?

tranquility

I am in the same boat. It is the first time I ever won the class-action lawsuit lottery where the remedy is actually something useful. Sure, when I get it back, the laptop is not going to be the most powerful on the market. But, it will do most anything I want. I'm actually happy at the result.

As for you, your legal remedy could have been to opt out of the class action and litigate your damages yourself. Why didn't you do that?

I am in the same boat. It is the first time I ever won the class-action lawsuit lottery where the remedy is actually something useful. Sure, when I get it back, the laptop is not going to be the most powerful on the market. But, it will do most anything I want. I'm actually happy at the result.

As for you, your legal remedy could have been to opt out of the class action and litigate your damages yourself. Why didn't you do that?
PC worth about $100 to go to court over? Nah ... you buy a Dell, thats what you're getting. Its not a top of the line machine. I only buy $300 laptops .. if it brakes I am not crying over it.

Best thing for me w/class action: currently ongoing with my riding lawn tractors ~ $150 + 1 yr extended warranty when its all done.

dmcc10880

The OP is looking to get back his full cost.
OP may have relatives all over the board today.

OP take what you can get and be happy with it... or don't accept the new card.

No offense, but I can see how some Senior Members can get a little testy at times.

Kiawah

A 5 year old laptop, is going to be as slow as a turtle compared to current technology. Technology improvements in both hardware and software are moving lighting fast. They're like cellphones, anything older than 18 months in antique. Will the current CAD programs even run on it?

tranquility

Of course not. Also, if the OP wants to run Crysis, he will be SOL. However, unless you are editing movies, playing modern games or otherwise stretching the envelope of computing, it will probably be just fine. What do you use your computer for?

For example mine has Core Duo T2400 (1.83gig) processor, 2 gig RAM, 256 meg video, DVD player/writer and a ginormous screen. Such a machine, even though it is 5 years old, can be used for many things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course not. Also, if the OP wants to run Crysis, he will be SOL. However, unless you are editing movies, playing modern games or otherwise stretching the envelope of computing, it will probably be just fine. What do you use your computer for?

For example mine has Core Duo T2400 (1.83gig) processor, 2 gig RAM, 256 meg video, DVD player/writer and a ginormous screen. Such a machine, even though it is 5 years old, can be used for many things.
OP does rendering in CAD. I bet the current version of SolidWorks would bring your machine to its knees ;)

tranquility

So..he..buys..a..new..computer..for..doing..such..things. (Which he would have had to do anyway if there was not a problem with it and the company didn't have to repair it.)

I am uncertain as to what everyone thinks I am not getting. Should he get a new computer because the one he bought 5 years ago broke?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So..he..buys..a..new..computer..for..doing..such..things. (Which he would have had to do anyway if there was not a problem with it and the company didn't have to repair it.)

I am uncertain as to what everyone thinks I am not getting. Should he get a new computer because the one he bought 5 years ago broke?
Tranq - I'm on your side. I think the OP is WAY out of line on this one. :D

You Are Guilty

I'm still using my same Dell notebook that I had in law school. (So old it doesn't even have a DVD drive). Can I return it to Dell for a full refund as well? It doesn't run Global Thermonuclear War and I'd really like to play.

davew128

I can tell you that people who bought certain Mac G5 machines in 2004-2005 in the last couple years have been getting new Mac Pros from Apple. Apparently there was a slow developing defect in the liquid cooling system in one of the shorter production runs at the time and liquid would leak out onto the motherboard and other internal components such as.....the power supply.

Apparently it was ultimately at this point easier to give new machines to the owners rather than hunt down replacement parts and cost out labor to repair the old machines. This despite the fact that warranties had long since expired.

tranquility

Not as a legal duty, but as a marketing/customer appreciation business decision.

I have an Xbox 360 with a red ring of death which is well out of warranty. Who do I see for a new replacement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">