• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal contractor maybe misclassified employee. Fed demanding to see personal computer for no reason.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Not IC is the one who said that the federal government is “demanding” the computer be turned over. I think saying that the computer will “probably” need to be turned over is a fair word to use.

Not IC

Guys to be clear my boss here doesn’t like my company anymore for certain reasons. The whole time I’ve been here I finished more work than I was supposed to and I’ve always heard how good a job I’m doing. However now in the last 2 months it’s constant harassment and gas lighting. There was a incident where I was tasked to do a certain project then 2 months in it was changed to another project suddenly. I tried to defend myself and I have proof but he just kept getting angry and telling me I’m wrong. It feels like gas lighting.

quincy

Guys to be clear my boss here doesn’t like my company anymore for certain reasons. The whole time I’ve been here I finished more work than I was supposed to and I’ve always heard how good a job I’m doing. However now in the last 2 months it’s constant harassment and gas lighting. There was a incident where I was tasked to do a certain project then 2 months in it was changed to another project suddenly. I tried to defend myself and I have proof but he just kept getting angry and telling me I’m wrong. It feels like gas lighting.
That has no real bearing on whether your employer can force you to turn over for inspection the computer you used for work. :)

I guess you should be glad that the job you were working on is coming to an end.

Not IC

That has no real bearing on whether your employer can force you to turn over for inspection the computer you used for work. :)

I guess you should be glad that the job you were working on is coming to an end.
i understand I’ve only used the computer for work so it’s more of a principle thing.My coworker is actually in the exact same situation. We’re just in shock. He said he’s going to refuse them and they can come get it. I’m thinking about talking to a lawyer. I might give it to them but ask for a written demand or something or just refuse them and let them come get it. It might be my boss here’s fault since he knew he should have told us I’m not sure.

quincy

i understand I’ve only used the computer for work so it’s more of a principle thing.My coworker is actually in the exact same situation. We’re just in shock. He said he’s going to refuse them and they can come get it. I’m thinking about talking to a lawyer. I might give it to them but ask for a written demand or something or just refuse them and let them come get it. It might be my boss here’s fault since he knew he should have told us I’m not sure.
I would speak to an attorney before flatly refusing the government’s demand.

You might want to make it clear to the government that the computer was purchased by you, not by the company you work for or by the government. It is your personal property.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Here's an idea. Transfer all your personal files to a back up portable drive (they are cheap). What's left is all work stuff. Remove the hard drive from your laptop and send it to whoever wants it. There are devices that can read a hard drive that's not connected to a computer.

Buy a new hard drive for the laptop (they are also cheap). Copy your own files to the new hard drive.

Not legal advice. Just what I would do.

quincy

Here's an idea. Transfer all your personal files to a back up portable drive (they are cheap). What's left is all work stuff. Remove the hard drive from your laptop and send it to whoever wants it. There are devices that can read a hard drive that's not connected to a computer.

Buy a new hard drive for the laptop (they are also cheap). Copy your own files to the new hard drive.

Not legal advice. Just what I would do.
Although good ideas in general, messing in any way with the computer after the government has demanded it be turned over could lead to problems for Not IC.

Not IC

I have nothing to hide guys. I’m just butt hurt they knew and now they’re acting like they didn’t. If anything there’s stuff my boss probably doesn’t want the people who would examine my computer to see.

quincy

I have nothing to hide guys. I’m just butt hurt they knew and now they’re acting like they didn’t. If anything there’s stuff my boss probably doesn’t want the people who would examine my computer to see.
No doubt. :)

quincy

like cherry picking contractors and bid rigging
Again, you really should speak to an attorney before the government takes your computer. The attorney can advise you on what can be legitimately protected on your computer and what cannot.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I’m just butt hurt...
In that case, it seems that you may just need to grow up. This is business. Treat it as such.

Having said that, while it may be wise to consult with an attorney prior to handing it over, you can also expect to lose your job if you don't.

quincy

In that case, it seems that you may just need to grow up. This is business. Treat it as such.

Having said that, while it may be wise to consult with an attorney prior to handing it over, you can also expect to lose your job if you don't.
He is employed by a company that has a one-year contract with the government. The contract is ready to expire.

In other words, Not IC might risk the loss of government work, but he could retain his employment with the “off-island” company, especially if he tries to protect intraoffice communications.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is employed by a company that has a one-year contract with the government. The contract is ready to expire.

In other words, Not IC might risk the loss of government work, but he could retain his employment with the “off-island” company, especially if he tries to protect intraoffice communications.
The bus that Not IC will be thrown under is coming around the corner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">