• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feeling overwhelmed in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Intrigued2002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex husband and I were divorced two years ago after an eight year marriage. We have three beautiful little girls, ages 6, 7 and 9 years old.
When we were divorced, we signed a mutually agreed upon agreement that stated I would have sole legal and physical custody, however, my ex was welcomed to call or visit at any time, invite the children to visit him, and if he wanted overnight visits, I only required 48 hour notice. (unless the children were already visiting him, then it was perfectly acceptable to call and ask to stay longer.)

Two months after the divorce was finalized, their father moved from Wisconsin to Texas. He had met a woman online, and as he was facing jail time for Child support, she suggested he duck court and move in with her. He was gone for 10 months. Irregular phone contact, and a couple video chats were all he could manage. There were a couple times when I would get nasty emails after a conversation from the kids' step-mom, saying that they wanted to move in with them, they told her I was abusive etc.. I responded heatedly. I know I shouldn't have, but I was shocked, and angry at the accusations.

After this, I began to get a lot of emails from the children's step-mother. Most were worded very carefully, portraying an innocence while telling me that she was better for my children in all ways... I let it get to me more than a couple times. Again, I shouldn't have, but it's very hard, as some of you can imagine. I told my ex I would not speak to her again. He replied by saying I had no choice, she was his wife, and she was the one calling the shots now. He also cut off communication of any kind himself at this time. If there was to be any contact, I was supposed to send HER an email, or call and speak with HER.
(I did not always act in a very mature manner having to communicate with her. I am not proud of it, but that's how it was.)

Their father showed up on my doorstep on June 17th, two days prior to Fathers Day. I encouraged the kids to go out and see him, and they visited for three hours that day. I did not have any notice they were coming, and I was a bit shell-shocked. Their dad insisted they get ready to go with them, and I said no. I felt it was necessary to let them have a little bit to process their dad being back, possibly discuss any concerns they may have had with them after they left. My oldest daughter expressed to me that she had really wanted to go with him after they left. After talking for a little bit, I called and had them come back, just for her. (I called his mother first and verified they would be staying with her.)

Two days later, I got a visit from the local sheriff with contempt papers saying I refused visitation to their father on Fathers Day... The date filed was the Friday prior to Fathers Day.

This started the three ring circus of court appearances, numerous contempt filings by my ex for nonsensical things, including a petition to enforce visitation for being 15 minutes late picking UP the children... CPS has been called to visit my home no less than 8 times. Each time, I have welcomed them in, allowed them to talk to my kids in private etc. On top of it all, my ex also has had the local police stop in claiming he was worried about me and the kids because he hadn't heard from me in over a week. (I had been speaking to him in the wee hours of that same morning he called them.)

I didn't think I had anything to worry about. My girls are well cared for, happy, healthy, doing great in school. I provide them with a stable home, which we never had even while my ex and I were married. (due to money problems, we'd live somewhere for 3 months, get evicted, rinse and repeat in the next place.)

The last time we went to court, (last month) The judge called our case, and began right off the bat with a temp order saying it would be changed to the county standard, father to have every other weekend, joint legal custody, etc. There was no evidence asked for, no input... the order was just all of a sudden changed. Before dismissing and making a new court date, the judge informed me that if I stepped out of line, he had no problem taking the kids from me and giving them to their father. (huh?)

The notice from the GAL (guardian ad litem) stated that my parenting style was "free", allowing the kids to choose activities to be engaged in etc, and while he sometimes saw this as ok, the kids should not be able to be so free, and that any extra curricular activities they took part in would interfere with visitation. He said I was noticeably upset when this was pointed out that the kids would have to change their ways... (I only had a one hour visit with the GAL, he did not speak to the children at all. My ex has had 8 visits with him.)
(The most any activities would interfere is one hour on Fridays...)

I feel as if I am being seen as this bad guy. I don't know what to do. I have done everything for my girls since day one. I don't badger child support, even though my ex is 6k in arrears, I just don't count on having that money. They are my kids, and I take the responsibility seriously. I guess what I am wondering, is has anyone else been through something similar? I don't know what is happening, but it doesn't feel good at all. I don't drink, do drugs, or even go out.. ever. I am home 23 hours a day, I work from home, am always around for my girls, and have never abandoned them. Yet I feel like I am losing..

(sorry so long... even as long as this post is, I didn't even get into all of the controlling done by the new step-mom (kids are told to call her mom), ex still won't communicate directly with me, so I am forced to deal with her.. even after judge told her to butt out. (my ex had the judge replaced that told her this. I only found out about the judge change during the very next hearing after this ocurred.)

I am so lost.

Last edited:

Intrigued2002

I know it is long, and I am so sorry. I don't know how to "cut it way down" without having to omit a lot of facts and scenarios that lead to my situation. I wanted to be very forthcoming and up front about everything. Taking out even a short part may effect the advice or answers that may be possible?

Intrigued2002

Edited post..

I cut out over half of the original post. Hoping that it is a little easier for people to wade through, now. I'm sorry, it's still very long, though.

meanyjack

I cut out over half of the original post. Hoping that it is a little easier for people to wade through, now. I'm sorry, it's still very long, though.
It's still way too long. Someone MIGHT wade through all of that, but I certainly did not. If one has to hit "Page down" more than once, it's too long.
What is your LEGAL QUESTION? Then post some PERTINENT facts as it RELATES DIRECTLY to your legal question.

Intrigued2002

Is it possible to get an admin to delete the post?

I misunderstood the direction to put everything in one post and be as detailed as possible. If there is a majority consensus that nobody will wish to wade through my post, can I delete it without getting in trouble, or can an admin do so?

I completely understand that it's too long to bother with. There are no hard feelings.

Proserpina

(I did wade through it - I'm waiting for my tea to brew :cool: )

So what I'm getting is that your original parenting plan had no set visitation, and now Dad joint legal custody and is enjoying the standard visitation and the kids can't go to extra-curriculars if those interfere with Dad's parenting time.

I'm not seeing a problem? :confused:

That's normal.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex husband and I were divorced two years ago after an eight year marriage. We have three beautiful little girls, ages 6, 7 and 9 years old.
When we were divorced, we signed a mutually agreed upon agreement that stated I would have sole legal and physical custody, however, my ex was welcomed to call or visit at any time, invite the children to visit him, and if he wanted overnight visits, I only required 48 hour notice. (unless the children were already visiting him, then it was perfectly acceptable to call and ask to stay longer.)

Two months after the divorce was finalized, their father moved from Wisconsin to Texas. He had met a woman online, and as he was facing jail time for Child support, she suggested he duck court and move in with her. He was gone for 10 months. Irregular phone contact, and a couple video chats were all he could manage. There were a couple times when I would get nasty emails after a conversation from the kids' step-mom, saying that they wanted to move in with them, they told her I was abusive etc.. I responded heatedly. I know I shouldn't have, but I was shocked, and angry at the accusations.

After this, I began to get a lot of emails from the children's step-mother. Most were worded very carefully, portraying an innocence while telling me that she was better for my children in all ways... I let it get to me more than a couple times. Again, I shouldn't have, but it's very hard, as some of you can imagine. I told my ex I would not speak to her again. He replied by saying I had no choice, she was his wife, and she was the one calling the shots now. He also cut off communication of any kind himself at this time. If there was to be any contact, I was supposed to send HER an email, or call and speak with HER.
(I did not always act in a very mature manner having to communicate with her. I am not proud of it, but that's how it was.)

Their father showed up on my doorstep on June 17th, two days prior to Fathers Day. I encouraged the kids to go out and see him, and they visited for three hours that day. I did not have any notice they were coming, and I was a bit shell-shocked. Their dad insisted they get ready to go with them, and I said no. I felt it was necessary to let them have a little bit to process their dad being back, possibly discuss any concerns they may have had with them after they left. My oldest daughter expressed to me that she had really wanted to go with him after they left. After talking for a little bit, I called and had them come back, just for her. (I called his mother first and verified they would be staying with her.)

Two days later, I got a visit from the local sheriff with contempt papers saying I refused visitation to their father on Fathers Day... The date filed was the Friday prior to Fathers Day.

This started the three ring circus of court appearances, numerous contempt filings by my ex for nonsensical things, including a petition to enforce visitation for being 15 minutes late picking UP the children... CPS has been called to visit my home no less than 8 times. Each time, I have welcomed them in, allowed them to talk to my kids in private etc. On top of it all, my ex also has had the local police stop in claiming he was worried about me and the kids because he hadn't heard from me in over a week. (I had been speaking to him in the wee hours of that same morning he called them.)

I didn't think I had anything to worry about. My girls are well cared for, happy, healthy, doing great in school. I provide them with a stable home, which we never had even while my ex and I were married. (due to money problems, we'd live somewhere for 3 months, get evicted, rinse and repeat in the next place.)

The last time we went to court, (last month) The judge called our case, and began right off the bat with a temp order saying it would be changed to the county standard, father to have every other weekend, joint legal custody, etc. There was no evidence asked for, no input... the order was just all of a sudden changed. Before dismissing and making a new court date, the judge informed me that if I stepped out of line, he had no problem taking the kids from me and giving them to their father. (huh?)

The notice from the GAL (guardian ad litem) stated that my parenting style was "free", allowing the kids to choose activities to be engaged in etc, and while he sometimes saw this as ok, the kids should not be able to be so free, and that any extra curricular activities they took part in would interfere with visitation. He said I was noticeably upset when this was pointed out that the kids would have to change their ways... (I only had a one hour visit with the GAL, he did not speak to the children at all. My ex has had 8 visits with him.)
(The most any activities would interfere is one hour on Fridays...)

I feel as if I am being seen as this bad guy. I don't know what to do. I have done everything for my girls since day one. I don't badger child support, even though my ex is 6k in arrears, I just don't count on having that money. They are my kids, and I take the responsibility seriously. I guess what I am wondering, is has anyone else been through something similar? I don't know what is happening, but it doesn't feel good at all. I don't drink, do drugs, or even go out.. ever. I am home 23 hours a day, I work from home, am always around for my girls, and have never abandoned them. Yet I feel like I am losing..

(sorry so long... even as long as this post is, I didn't even get into all of the controlling done by the new step-mom (kids are told to call her mom), ex still won't communicate directly with me, so I am forced to deal with her.. even after judge told her to butt out. (my ex had the judge replaced that told her this. I only found out about the judge change during the very next hearing after this ocurred.)

I am so lost.
Get rid of the emotion. Tell us the facts and then ask your question. This isn't an emotional support board. I could edit this down and get rid of alot of the wordiness, but I'm not going to take the time right now.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

It's still way too long. Someone MIGHT wade through all of that, but I certainly did not. If one has to hit "Page down" more than once, it's too long.
What is your LEGAL QUESTION? Then post some PERTINENT facts as it RELATES DIRECTLY to your legal question.
I waded through it. She actually saw fit to put white space into the post, it was a MUCH easier read than most we see on this forum. Even having triple the information.

Meanyjack and any others (OP, feel free to correct me)

1) divorced two years ago with out of court agreement as to visitation, LIBERAL allowances for notification of intent. Two months of hunkey dorey visitation.

2) Dad moved from WI to TX to marry a woman he met online. Cut off all contact and told Mom that he was no longer calling the shots, effectively that ANY contact be through new wifey. New wifey took upon herself the task of abusing Mom through emails, Mom responded emotionally

3) Dad comes back into picture, Mom gets served with contempt charges for interferring with Father's Day visitation, motion filed the Friday before he showed up to Mom's house to visit with the kids.

4) CPS calls, visits no less than 8 times

5) GAL meets with Dad numerous times, only once with Mom and no visits with GAL while in Mom's care.

6) Judge slaps mom's hand says he has no problem reverting custody to Dad if mom doesn't toe the line...

7) New Wifey insists that she's better all the way around for the children (brings to mind SM4E and several other, more recents), insists that the children call her Mom.

I don't THINK I missed anything.

Intrigued2002

That sums it up. Also, standard for the county calls for 6pm-6pm... if this were the case, there would not be any interference with the kids enrichments (as they call them at school), but for a reason unknown to myself, as soon as I mentioned these after school activities, the recommendation was changed to 5pm-5pm.

I'm not trying to take or cheat dad out of anything. I've wanted his involvement the whole time. I'm just being roadblocked at every turn, even when I offered more visitation for this summer.. The GAL said "You don't get to decide that." and proceeded to only give dad a total of 2 weeks in the summer, non consecutive... I proposed that dad could have every weekend in summer, which would give him 5 weeks 1 day.

Both the GAL and my ex acted as if I was acting irrationally, and said something horrible.

It really is a very confusing thing.

Proserpina

That sums it up. Also, standard for the county calls for 6pm-6pm... if this were the case, there would not be any interference with the kids enrichments (as they call them at school), but for a reason unknown to myself, as soon as I mentioned these after school activities, the recommendation was changed to 5pm-5pm.

I'm not trying to take or cheat dad out of anything. I've wanted his involvement the whole time. I'm just being roadblocked at every turn, even when I offered more visitation for this summer.. The GAL said "You don't get to decide that." and proceeded to only give dad a total of 2 weeks in the summer, non consecutive... I proposed that dad could have every weekend in summer, which would give him 5 weeks 1 day.

Both the GAL and my ex acted as if I was acting irrationally, and said something horrible.

I'm wondering if Dad provided the hostile emails you sent.

That might explain the reaction you got?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I'd be of a mind to speak with an attorney who would be representing me. Something is NOT adding up, and it stinks to high Heaven. If the GAL is pulling some shenanegans (which I suspect is the case), I'd want a different NON-biased GAL. Jes' sayin'.

Proserpina

I'm not convinced there's any wrongdoing at this point; it just sounds as if Dad made a case for Mom perhaps trying to alienate the kids.

But a chat with an attorney is never a bad thing.

DownTime

Attorney! Fast. Bring all communication with the step mom, including your replies for the sake of honesty.

I think you may have gotten thrown in such a chaos that you got a little discombobulated and maybe admitted more blame than you should have. Focus, and order yourself.

And go speak to an attorney.

Intrigued2002

May I ask how dad would make a case of my alienating him or the kids? He moved with no advance notice out of state, and there was no refusal of his contacting the kids. I've also always allowed both the kids and their dad to request to visit at any time.

Also, a point I deleted from my original post: Dad doesn't do any of the communicating. His wife does it all, including filing all court papers etc. All petitions have been in her writing.

The original judge had to threaten her with holding her in contempt in court. She was mad that she wasn't allowed up at the podium with myself and my ex, but that didn't stop her from speaking up. The judge finally told her to "refrain, as you have no right to speak in this court." She stood up and as she was stomping out she said "If I have no right, she's not getting child support."

She immediately went down and demanded the child support agency to give her her money back. (apparently they made a payment right before court.)

The judge, at that time, had also told my ex that he would never award him more than an order of liberal visitation. Dad got mad, and asked the judge to have me stop calling him to offer visits, because he was sick of me "pawning them off" on him.

The judge seemed very confused, as was I, but he said if that's what Dad really wanted, consider it ordered. I was told not to offer anymore and wait for him to ask himself.

A new court date was set, and the next time we went to court, we had a new judge...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">