• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feres Act???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Would a servicemember or family member of a servicemember be allowed to bring suit against a civilian family therapist working for a service branch via contract, but not a GS employee? [ie, employed on contract with MWR. A non-appropriated funds position]

If a counselor's behavior fell substantially below the industry's standards of conduct and resulted in severe damages, would there be legal grounds to seek a judgment for such damages?

rmet4nzkx

usmcleader said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Would a servicemember or family member of a servicemember be allowed to bring suit against a civilian family therapist working for a service branch via contract, but not a GS employee? [ie, employed on contract with MWR. A non-appropriated funds position]

If a counselor's behavior fell substantially below the industry's standards of conduct and resulted in severe damages, would there be legal grounds to seek a judgment for such damages?
What type of therapist? MFT, LCSW, PSYCHOLOGIST, OTHER? It is possible also possible is complaint to liscenising board, PM me the details I will be out but I will research. I will keep it confidential. In some cases they have immunity, in others, not.

fozzy2

The Feres Doctrine (it not an actual statute, but is named after one of the key cases in its enunciation) does not prevent suits when an injured plaintiff is a civilian -- i.e. a dependant. Determining an employees status under the Federal Tort Claims Act (whether they are an "independant contractor", etc.) is a very tricky item indeed. It will depend on a lot of facts, and even experienced lawyers are sometimes surprised at how the court responds. This is definitely an area where you want an attorney to research it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">