• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File Chapter 7 and been discharged.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OP85063

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york.

I file for chapter 7, back in May 08, did my 341 meeting in April 29, and received my discharged paper in the mail yesterday. I've been discharged of all my debts. Not proud of myself, but I need a clean start and a very well lesson learned.

Also what I received in the mail is a paper to appear in court from one of the creditor that was included in my chapter 7. The thing is I receive the mail yesterday, and the case was last week. Can a judgment go into against me even if it was dismissed? I would think not.

Even the mail was send to them, to notify them, they still decided to take me to court and try to sue me.

I am sure they are violating some kind of law here and was told they can be sued and I can receive money from them.

Gregeney

Are you sure that the debt to that creditor was dischargeable? If you were represented by counsel for your bankruptcy, you should contact your attorney. You should also contact that creditor and the court in which they are attempting to obtain a judgment. If they are indeed disregarding your discharge and they received notice, you could reopen your bk case and file an adversary proceeding against them. You should speak to an atty.

OP85063

Yes, I am sure it is discharged, I am going down my atty tomorrow and getting all my paper works, and have him contact them about it. It's an unsecure credit card company which I had back in like 2003 i think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">