• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File Contempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

Another note in agreement with Proserpina! OMG!!!

OP... it's not worth it. Drop it. And I'll almost guarantee you that once you drop it, she'll start sending the data.
Really?
He's considering filing because she is always late with the data.

So you are "almost" guaranteeing that, IF he drops the contempt charge (that he has not yet filed), she will suddenly change her ways.

Impressive.

onegooddad said:
Do you want to modify support, visitation, etc.???
That's not why he's writing. But if he does, I'm sure you'll have some completely untrue things to tell him. :rolleyes:

onegooddad said:
If that's the reason, then you can subpoena that data before the hearing. And yes, while not guaranteed, if your ex-wife has been playing games, the judge will do more than slap her on the wrists.

"Brothers are doin' it for themselves!"
You're Charlie Sheen.
:rolleyes:

DA412

OP... it's not worth it. Drop it. And I'll almost guarantee you that once you drop it, she'll start sending the data.
Drop what, exactly. Stop telling her that she's late? I don't believe that'll work. Last year, I waited until August to say something.

If I stop reminding her, she'll probably stop sending them altogether. And if I say nothing about that, all she has to say is that I obviously don't care because I'm not saying anything.

Look, I know how this is coming off, it seems petty. I'm really not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I just want her to follow the order without me having to hold her hand along the way.. that's all. I shouldn't have to be doing what I've been doing.

Silverplum

Drop what, exactly. Stop telling her that she's late? I don't believe that'll work. Last year, I waited until August to say something.

If I stop reminding her, she'll probably stop sending them altogether. And if I say nothing about that, all she has to say is that I obviously don't care because I'm not saying anything.

Look, I know how this is coming off, it seems petty. I'm really not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I just want her to follow the order without me having to hold her hand along the way.. that's all. I shouldn't have to be doing what I've been doing.
No, you shouldn't. But if she was a First Class Human Being, you wouldn't be divorced from her, either. ;)

Really?
He's considering filing because she is always late with the data.

So you are "almost" guaranteeing that, IF he drops the contempt charge (that he has not yet filed), she will suddenly change her ways.

Impressive.

That's not why he's writing. But if he does, I'm sure you'll have some completely untrue things to tell him. :rolleyes:

You're Charlie Sheen.
:rolleyes:
Oh yeah! Tiger blood running through my veins.

C'mon Lassie, or Silverplumpy or whatever else you want to be called...

Are you seriously suggesting that the Guy from TN (the OP) files contempt charges for failure to get a W2 or 1099 by Feb. 15? That he spend the money to do so and have the judge say... "Lady, give him his paperwork, please."

If the OP uses reverse psychology, he's likely to get what he wants.

If he has other issues, such as modifications for support, custody, etc., then roll it all into the same proceeding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

Oh yeah! Tiger blood running through my veins.

C'mon Lassie, or Silverplumpy or whatever else you want to be called...

Are you seriously suggesting that the Guy from TN (the OP) files contempt charges for failure to get a W2 or 1099 by Feb. 15? That he spend the money to do so and have the judge say... "Lady, give him his paperwork, please."
No, I'm not saying that. I didn't say that. You're too manic to read clearly. That's a shame, isn't it?

onegooddad said:

If he has other issues, such as modifications for support, custody, etc., then roll it all into the same proceeding.
Your last sentence here proves once again that you know NOTHING of family law.

mistoffolees

I agree that it's trivial, but it's extremely frustrating to have to babysit her.
Of course it is. But if this is the worst frustration you have, then count your blessings.

Think about the end game. Why does it matter if you receive the W2 in February instead of August? I can only think of 2 reasons:

1. If you both have exactly the same number of overnights and the custody decree doesn't say anything about taxes, then that could determine who gets the tax deduction. But it's not going to matter unless your incomes are so close that you don't know who makes more - and it's unlikely that you both have exactly the same number of overnights, anyway.

2. if there's a big change in someone's income, then it could affect child support. But unless you know that ex's income went up a lot, it's probably not worth fighting. And if you do know that his income went up a lot, then you can request a child support modification even if you don't have the W2.

Either way, it's frustrating, but doesn't mean a lot in the end. I sure don't get copies of my ex's tax returns and it just doesn't matter.

SESmama

OP already tried this and it did not work. Apparently you need to stop and read before posting in an attempt to "oneupmanship" another poster.

OP, what ARE the W2/1099 supposed to be used for? If it is for CS then it really would not matter if you get them in February or August. If it is just to prove an income, again, wouldn't matter. Those can both be filed and discovered at any given time. If it is for claiming the child I can see it being necessary prior to April 15 but I would honestly think it would be for the following year rather than the previous. It would be difficult to plan tax wise if you never know if you are going to claim the child.

How about the OP doesn't send his info to the Ex as well. She can't exactly rush into court for contempt when <cough> she is technically in contempt too.

Although it's petty, sometimes having the roles reversed.....

Proserpina

How about the OP doesn't send his info to the Ex as well. She can't exactly rush into court for contempt when <cough> she is technically in contempt too.

Although it's petty, sometimes having the roles reversed.....

Because that's what we call "bad co-parenting".

LizzieB

Co-parenting means that two people work together to parent their child(ren). If it were such a success the two would likely still be together.

From what I've read, and I may be wrong, but we still don't know the importance of getting the tax forms.

If it's that important to the original poster, then go to court. Although it's really not the answer and will wind up costing more than it's likely worth as many of you have indicated.

So, OP... as another member here wrote, pick and choose your battles.

Silverplum

Co-parenting means that two people work together to parent their child(ren). If it were such a success the two would likely still be together.
I disagree with you very vigorously.

People who used to be in a "romantic" entanglement can and do learn to coparent for the sake of their shared child/ren.

WE encourage it!

mistoffolees

I disagree completely. My ex was a terrible wife, but she makes a pretty good ex-wife. We don't have any problem co-parenting.

It simply requires that you put the kid(s) first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">