• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blondi372

What is the name of your state?Georgia

My boyfriend has a company in the State of Georgia and in January got a purchase order from a contractor in Louisiana to do work in Iowa. The work was completed and signed off on however, now that it is time for the Contractor to pay there has been no return phone calls or a check. My question is how does my boyfriend's company go filing a lien so that the Contractor does not get paid from the main company until he is paid.

wvbaker

blondi372 said:
What is the name of your state?Georgia

My boyfriend has a company in the State of Georgia and in January got a purchase order from a contractor in Louisiana to do work in Iowa. The work was completed and signed off on however, now that it is time for the Contractor to pay there has been no return phone calls or a check. My question is how does my boyfriend's company go filing a lien so that the Contractor does not get paid from the main company until he is paid.
I’m not an attorney but being familiar with the court system, I don’t think he can stop the main Contractor from paying that company. He could always call them, explain what’s going on and request they do so. That would be up to them.

Because the work took place in Iowa, that would be where the lien should filed. Go to, http://www.mechlien.com/laws/CODE OF IOWA.htm and that will provide you with the requirements for a mechanics lien.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">