• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for Support in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SerenitysMom

What is the name of your state? GA

Hello everyone. If any of u know about GA laws, please help clear up somethings for me. I filed a case for support on Nov 23, 2004. CSE is still in the "locate" stage of my case. Today I went to see the case worker assigned to my case to see what was taking so long, as they have all info og my ex to get things started. She explained to me that she is the only person working on my case and things take a little longer because of that. She also stated that my case would be transfered to Fulton County because that is where my ex lives. Then she explained to me that in the state of GA there is no retro support to the date of filing. Support only kicks in from the time an order is in place. Is this true? I thought it always went back to the date of filing. Also, is there a way to expidite this process. Can I go to my ex's county and request that they take over my case instead of waiting for my county to transfer it? This is such a frustrating process! Thanks for any info u can share. I have never posted before, but I read this board everyday, and u guys seem to give helpful info.

Tinkerbell48445

I filed in Savannah GA years ago and it was retro to the date I filed. He fought it for two years and ended up $26,000 in arrears. So unless the law changed that's garbage.

SerenitysMom

Ga....Thx for your reply. I have already reviewed the CSE site for GA and unless I am missing something I was unable to locate anything that would specifically state if support is back dated to the date of filing. I called the CSE customer service number and they too said that child support does not begin until an order is in place. GA does not go back to the date of filing. Has anyone here recently filed for support through GA? Did they go back to the date of filing? To the poster who went through it in Savannah, did they actually take 2 years to locate him and get the order in place, or was your ex just prolonging the process? I am so confused. I have a friend who went through GA support for her ex who lives in NY and they did go back to the date that she filed. This was about 2 years ago as well. Has the law recently changed here in GA? Again, any answers will be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

SerenitysMom said:
Ga....Thx for your reply. I have already reviewed the CSE site for GA and unless I am missing something I was unable to locate anything that would specifically state if support is back dated to the date of filing. I called the CSE customer service number and they too said that child support does not begin until an order is in place. GA does not go back to the date of filing. Has anyone here recently filed for support through GA? Did they go back to the date of filing? To the poster who went through it in Savannah, did they actually take 2 years to locate him and get the order in place, or was your ex just prolonging the process? I am so confused. I have a friend who went through GA support for her ex who lives in NY and they did go back to the date that she filed. This was about 2 years ago as well. Has the law recently changed here in GA? Again, any answers will be greatly appreciated.
I suspect that going through the CSE vs using a private attorney can probably make a difference in the outcome when it comes to arrearages.

Ga Cse

My husband sent off his paperwork in December for CSE in GA. He had to call them about 4 times before they started anything. They are in the Establishment phase now. It seems the case worker is on the ball now. The other parent is in another state. Which county are you going through?

Also, you can get access to where you can log on to the web and check your case. That is VERY helpful!!

SerenitysMom

I started my cas in Clayton County where I live. It was filed on Nov 23, 2004. They are still in the "locate" stage. The excuse I was given for the long wait is that my case worker is the only person working on cases that come through that office. However, because my ex lives in Fulton county, ultimately the case will be transfered there. In the mean time I have no idea why it is taking so long to move from the locate stage. He is not hard to find. They could call his phone and tell him he needs to come down to the office and he would answer. CSE has all the information they need on him. If they want to put me on the payroll, hell, I'd get things rolling with no problem. I do have access to the portal on the internet to check my case and the only thing that is inputed on there is the numerous times I've called to inquire on my case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">