• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Film Copyright Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

condog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

Here is my Situation;

Several years ago my father wrote and directed an independent film for a small production company. Yes he was employed by them at the time of the production so they obviously own the copyright to the film. They have since parted ways and I am now in a position where my father and I would like to produce a sequel to the film but do not know the boundaries of the copyright of the original film.

My question;

Can we produce a sequel to this film or would it infringe on the copyrights of the original? What rights does my father (as creator) have over stories and characters that build upon the original film?

Thank You

FlyingRon

Quite possibly it would. If you're using the characters and situations from the original to build the sequel, then it would be considered a derivative work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">