• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t_p_us

You are right. It was a fitness issue. *sigh* . .Ok here's the deal. Hopefully this will make things easier for everyone. I'm ashamed of what I did and paid the price for it, BUT I am a better person now.

My drinking got a little out of hand a few years ago. I was starting to get a little dependent on it and one night I drank a little too much and sent my ex a pretty scary pic of me involving a gun. So I went from having my son 50/50 with her to only having him 2 hours every other Sat in a matter of 1 month. Justifiably so. I would have done the same if I were in her shoes. Since then, I did attend AA and did quit drinking and did everything everyone asked of me so I can get my visitation back.

And quite honestly, I don't really have a problem with what I ended up with. It's certainly more than what I had in the past year or so. It's the fact that I feel like I could have negotiated for more visitation time with my son when I was at the negotiation table with my ex and our attorney's.

And now, I feel like I got the short end of the stick, because now I'm afraid that unless my ex cooperates when her and I go to mediation to make any adjustments to the visitation, I won't get any extended time unless there's a change of circumstance. And I don't know if there ever will be in the near future.

That's why I asked earlier if it mattered whether my ex and I agreed to a certain schedule. Would the judge have denied me some time if he/she thought I still wasn't ready to get what my ex and I agreed to . .

mistoffolees

And now, I feel like I got the short end of the stick, because now I'm afraid that unless my ex cooperates when her and I go to mediation to make any adjustments to the visitation, I won't get any extended time unless there's a change of circumstance. And I don't know if there ever will be in the near future.
Given the specifics, it's possibly not as bad as you think.

For example, if you have a clean bill of health for some period of time, then you could argue that it's a sufficient change to justify re-evaluating the situation. The fact that the decree specifically allows for it will help. Since the decree seems to suggestion mediation (based on what you wrote above), that's even better.

Work on staying clean and out of trouble. Ask your attorney how long you need to demonstrate good behavior before the circumstances can be changed. But, frankly, making sure your child is safe is the first priority for everyone involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">