• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finally went to to court my DUI in 2010.......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atlanta, GA

Hey guys, you all might remember my stupid questions on these as well as other forums about what would happen on my court date since I missed/didn't go 10 years ago.... The Results....

40 hours of community service,
24 hr jail time (done)
Risk Reduction program (done)
DUI Intervention evolution
year probation.

ANYWAYS, HERE'S MY BIGGEST QUESTION, Before I went to court I paid to get my license reinstated which were the fines for the FTA and DUI, I got them reinstated in Alabama before I went to court, on my court appearance the judge gave me all the above and he said License suspension for one year? The question is my license was suspended for about 8 years before I got that all cleared up and the reason(s) for my license suspension was as mentioned above, the FTA and the DUI. How can a judge order my license be suspended again for the same charge?

FlyingRon

Because it wasn't previously suspended as a result of the DUI conviction. You don't get "time served" credit for being a fugitive. Most likely you had an administrative suspension for the DUI (or perhaps the per se violation) and were blocked from reinstating due to the FTA. That's separate from the CRIMINAL sanctions.

Here is a link to your other thread, for reference purposes:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/dui-in-2010-in-atlanta.659882/

It appears from your prior thread that FlyingRon came pretty close to guessing the outcome. It is too bad you have another license suspension.
Well from what I've researched and what I was told from my probation officer is my license is only suspended in GA? And when I check my status with Georgia DDS on the website, it says "Disqualified To Operate A Commercial Vehicle" nothing about a suspension like it said before I paid all the fines prior to going to court and got my license. and it also says on the website " * * * No Current Suspension(s) found * * *

quincy

Well from what I've researched and what I was told from my probation officer is my license is only suspended in GA?
You said your license was suspended in Georgia and, until it is reinstated, you cannot drive on your Georgia license (unless granted a limited driving privilege in Georgia). You will be unable to get another driver license in another state until your license is reinstated in Georgia, this even though Georgia is not a member of the Driver License Compact which shares driver information with other states. The National Drivers Registry (NDR) records license actions taken against drivers in all states.

If your suspension is not showing up online, you might want to contact the Department by phone.

Last edited:

quincy

Oh. Your DUI was in Georgia but you were driving on an Alabama license? You might check the Alabama database. You might find you can’t renew your Alabama license because of the DUI in Georgia.

Oh. Your DUI was in Georgia but you were driving on an Alabama license? You might check the Alabama database.
Here's the whole story (A short version)

Got a DUI in Atlanta In 2010 (as previously exhausted on these forums lol)
Never went to court, after 10 years or so I checked my license status in GA, they were obviously suspended (GA) for (1: Two FTAs 2: DUI)
A year later, I wanted to get this over with so I contacted the court clerk for the state I received the DUI (GA) She told me I had to pay the fine(s) which were ($2800) For DUI and failure to maintain lane and I will be set another court date after I paid the fine(s) the same day she gave me papers to take to Alabama or "whatever" state I lived (Alabama) To reinstate my license, which I took to Alabama (AFTER PAYING THE DMV FEES IN GA FOR THE TICKETS) And took the driving test and all of that again and Alabama gave me my license. After getting it, a month later (most recent) was the court date I finally went to, where the judge said license suspension for one year

Last edited:

quincy

Here's the whole story (A short version)

Got a DUI in Atlanta In 2010 (as previously exhausted on these forums lol)
Never went to court, after 10 years or so I checked my license status in GA, they were obviously suspended (GA) for (1: Two FTAs 2: DUI)
A year later, I wanted to get this over with so I contacted the court clerk for the state I received the DUI (GA) She told me I had to pay the fine(s) which were ($2800) For DUI and failure to maintain lane and I will be set another court date after I paid the fine(s) the same day she gave me papers to take to Alabama or "whatever" state I lived (Alabama) To reinstate my license, which I took to Alabama (AFTER PAYING THE DMV FEES IN GA FOR THE TICKETS) And took the driving test and all of that again and Alabama gave me my license. After getting it, a month later (most recent) was the court date I finally went to, where the judge said license suspension for one year
Okay. Well ... it appears you can now expect Alabama to suspend the license you just got reinstated. It sounds like the first suspension was an administrative suspension and the second suspension was for the DUI.

GuyInNC

Quincy, do most states have that kind of 'pro-active system' where an entry in the NDR is seen by and acted on by another state on a real time basis? I ask because in 2004 I was unable to renew my DL in NC because a person with my DOB, and first name/last name (this person has no legal middle name) had his driving privileges suspended in Maine. I was a match in the NDR database and could not get my DL renewed until I had resolved 'my' problem in Maine (I had never been to Maine at that point in time).

The resolution was to hire a lawyer and get the charge dismissed (headlight issue - so a small thing). There was no other way for me to ever drive again (other than maybe 'posing' as this other guy and going to court in Maine). I have always assumed that I was 'free of this guy' between DL renewals. But what you are saying means that I am at risk at all times. I am not sure what to do about it, but I would like to know.

Another interesting factoid regarding this is that 'his record is my record' (unless more recently the NDR has changed). But my record is not his record because I do use a middle name.

Thanks.

quincy

Quincy, do most states have that kind of 'pro-active system' where an entry in the NDR is seen by and acted on by another state on a real time basis? I ask because in 2004 I was unable to renew my DL in NC because a person with my DOB, and first name/last name (this person has no legal middle name) had his driving privileges suspended in Maine. I was a match in the NDR database and could not get my DL renewed until I had resolved 'my' problem in Maine (I had never been to Maine at that point in time).

The resolution was to hire a lawyer and get the charge dismissed (headlight issue - so a small thing). There was no other way for me to ever drive again (other than maybe 'posing' as this other guy and going to court in Maine). I have always assumed that I was 'free of this guy' between DL renewals. But what you are saying means that I am at risk at all times. I am not sure what to do about it, but I would like to know.

Another interesting factoid regarding this is that 'his record is my record' (unless more recently the NDR has changed). But my record is not his record because I do use a middle name.

Thanks.
What you experienced is probably not all that common but, yes, if you have been entered into the NDR system, other states have access to that. You would need to have the agency that entered the erroneous information correct it.

Here is a link to information on the National Driver Register (NDR):
https://one.nhtsa.gov/Data/National-Driver-Register-(NDR)

GuyInNC

Quincy - thanks for the link. Been a while since I had visited the NDR and some changes have been made.

Just for clarification, there was no entry error - the entry was perfectly proper. The error is in the design of the system which has no way to handle cases where two people have the same name and DOB.

quincy

Quincy - thanks for the link. Been a while since I had visited the NDR and some changes have been made.

Just for clarification, there was no entry error - the entry was perfectly proper. The error is in the design of the system which has no way to handle cases where two people have the same name and DOB.
The same name/DOB errors happen - but they remain the exception rather than the rule. It definitely is a headache for the innocent ones affected by these errors. The best they can do is go to the sources of the errors and have corrections made.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Please start your own thread about your own matter. This hijack does not help the OP.

quincy

Please start your own thread about your own matter. This hijack does not help the OP.
Actually, GuyInNC’s post is related to Michael’s question because the NDR is probably what is going to be the reason Michael has problems with his Alabama driver’s license. Alabama will have access to the Georgia driver’s license suspension which will affect his driver’s license in Alabama.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">