• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Gifts/Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blessedbabe2

Hopefully someone can help me here. I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are the basics:
I am an in a custody battle. My ex shows that he makes roughly 20K a year. He lives with his parents who make 200K a year to my knowledge, who are completely funding his side of the attorney fees, court costs, psycological exams, medical releases, etc. To date, it has likely cost him 20K (based off of the amount it has cost me, the amout his attorney charges, etc). His bank account was completely empty at the start of the year, so I know he had nothing in savings, as this was a joint account.

Either; (they refers to my ex's parents, while His/he refers to my ex)
-They are depositing funding in his account and paying the attorney from his account.
-They are paying the attorney directly (they are signed on a contract with the Attorney along with my ex as far as I believe, although they are not actually allowed to be a party to the suit.)
-He is paying with a credit card that they are making payments on

No matter what, mathematically you can see that there is NO way that he is able to pay for this custody battle.

***** MY QUESTION IS: Can I prove this to be a financial gift from his parents, especially if it is over a certain amount? What are the restrictions of proving it is a financial gift? Does it count as income?

Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:

irsos

Hopefully someone can help me here. I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are the basics:
I am an in a custody battle. My ex shows that he makes roughly 20K a year. He lives with his parents who make 200K a year to my knowledge, who are completely funding his side of the attorney fees, court costs, psycological exams, medical releases, etc. To date, it has likely cost him 20K (based off of the amount it has cost me, the amout his attorney charges, etc). His bank account was completely empty at the start of the year, so I know he had nothing in savings, as this was a joint account.

Either; (they refers to my ex's parents, while His/he refers to my ex)
-They are depositing funding in his account and paying the attorney from his account.
-They are paying the attorney directly (they are signed on a contract with the Attorney along with my ex as far as I believe, although they are not actually allowed to be a party to the suit.)
-He is paying with a credit card that they are making payments on

No matter what, mathematically you can see that there is NO way that he is able to pay for this custody battle.

***** MY QUESTION IS: Can I prove this to be a financial gift from his parents, especially if it is over a certain amount? What are the restrictions of proving it is a financial gift? Does it count as income?

Thank you so much for your time!

His parents can give him $24,000 every year with no tax or reporting implications.

Blessedbabe2

So you no longer have to report financial gifts in excess of $9999 to the government on your income taxes? That was previously the law to my knowledge....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">