• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial separation in WA state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don Ket Hotey

What is the name of your state? Washington

My wife and I would like to obtain a financial separation. We will remain married.
The situation is completely amicable and there are no financial issues in dispute -- everything split 50/50.

My question is this: Does a lawyer or mediator even need to be involved in this? Or is it simply a question of us filing paperwork without having to hire anybody?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Bali Hai Again

What is the name of your state? Washington

My wife and I would like to obtain a financial separation. We will remain married.
The situation is completely amicable and there are no financial issues in dispute -- everything split 50/50.
Hopefully it stays amicable.
My question is this: Does a lawyer or mediator even need to be involved in this? Or is it simply a question of us filing paperwork without having to hire anybody?

Thanks in advance for your input!
You need a legal separation.

https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=25

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't need an attorney to file for a separation, but you do need to know the proper court procedures. The following page with forms will help: https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=25 (I understand this was shared above as well.)

This page gives instructions/information for a separation in from King County. It will give you a general idea, but your county (if not King County) likely has similar instructions that you can find online.
https://kingcounty.gov/~/media/courts/superior-court/docs/family/family-law-instructions/01-04-how-to-ask-for-a-legal-separation-agreed-pdf.ashx?la=en

zddoodah

What do you mean by "financial separation"?

Does a lawyer or mediator even need to be involved in this? Or is it simply a question of us filing paperwork without having to hire anybody?
Impossible to say without knowing what you mean by "financial separation" or what paperwork you're talking about. Whether, as a matter of fact, you can separate your finances depends on the details of your finances, which we don't know. However, if all you want to do is separate your finances (to the extent possible), that's not a legal issue.

You could seek a legal separation in lieu of divorce. However, it may not be necessary. Also, if you have a mortgage or other loans or other legal obligations for which you are jointly liable, you won't be able to achieve a true separation of all finances without paying off the loans.

Can this paper work be filed without hiring an attorney or mediator? Or is that required?
A mediator is a person who assists in the resolution of disputes. An individual is never required to be represented by a lawyer in a legal matter. However, there's an old adage: He who acts as his own attorney has a fool for a client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">