• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acemagoo61

What is the name of your state? NH

Is there anyway creditors can find out how much money you have in a bank account that was not listed on the credit application without first getting a judgment against you?

Can creditors get access to MV files? Can they tell the year and make of your car? Can they tell if there is a lien on the vehicle or not?

Which bank check guarentee companies allow creditors to searsh for your bank accounts? Which ones do not?

I defaulted three years ago and have not heard from them in over two and a half. I have been broke for three years. Not sure if I should file BK or waite them out.

What is the chance of waiting them out?

Ladynred

There are many ways for a judgment creditor to find assets and other information. I do not have a lien on my car, it was never financed, but the credit bureaus know that I have a 1994 Pontiac !!! Its not that hard, there are hundreds of databases out there to be bought and used. If you have a lien on anything, they can access court records. DMV's may be another matter. Some states have restricted access to that information, so it may be dependent on NH statutes.

Can they find bank accounts ?? Yes... that's easy. They can call every bank in a xx mile radius and find out if you have an account. They can NOT, however, find out how much you have in it or get the account numbers, the bank should NOT give out that information unless they've gotten a court order to fork over your money.

S

seniorjudge

I love your beautiful state!

"...Is there anyway creditors can find out how much money you have in a bank account that was not listed on the credit application without first getting a judgment against you?..."
There may be ways but they are not legal. A bank is not supposed to give out this info. Bank tellers have been known, however, to spill the beans.

"Can creditors get access to MV files? Can they tell the year and make of your car? Can they tell if there is a lien on the vehicle or not?"
Different states have different rules on this. It used to be very easy to find out motor vehicle info. If a creditor today has a cop buddy, it's still pretty easy to find that out. Of course, if you buy a car on credit, the creditors probably already know about that.

"Which bank check guarentee companies allow creditors to searsh for your bank accounts? Which ones do not?"
I do not know.

"I defaulted three years ago and have not heard from them in over two and a half. I have been broke for three years. Not sure if I should file BK or waite them out. What is the chance of waiting them out?"
What kind of debt is it that you do not want to pay? Check your state's statutes of limitation. It may be different for a debt made by a writing (i.e., promissory note) or by an open account (i.e., a credit card).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">