• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding out if search warrant was issued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

WarrantSeeker said:
I reported the missing item to the police immediately that night (3 weeks ago) and no charges and/or notification of a warrant were made to me. The police suspended the case and did not make any actions to try and find the item, however. They did not dust for prints or inspect the crime scene or anything but just made the report on record really. I have been trying to do my own police work and check pawn shops, but with no luck. If it was a federal warrant, do they have to abide by state law (which does state written notification has to be presented at the scene)?
Unlike TV, in the vast majority of theft cases we do NOT "dust for prints". Very often all we do is take a report. Unless we have a possible suspect or an obvious point of entry, dusting for prints for every minor theft would be an extremely messy and expensive proposition.

No, the feds do not have to abide by state law for the warrants. Unless you are Osama Bin Laden's brother or are connected to some drug kingpins, why on EARTH would you be so important that the feds would give a rat's tail end about you?

Take a deep breath ... stop being so paranoid!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">